Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculating the volume of compost needed for raised beds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating the volume of compost needed for raised beds?

I'm having a total brain fog this morning Trying to calculate how much compost or topsoil I will need to order to fill my raised beds.

I'm planning 5 beds, each measures 1x2meters & about 15cm deep, how do I calculate in ltrs how much I need to buy?

Any ideas? I think I need more coffee.......

ok, i will try first then

based on ((100cm * 200cm * 15cm)/1000)*5

Comment

You don't need to FILL them, and you don't need to do it all at once. Well rotted manure & garden compost can be added over the years

Several people have asked the same question, you might want to trawl through the older threads for more info
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 21-02-2011, 09:11 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oil_54735.html

That was recent.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          You don't need to FILL them, and you don't need to do it all at once. Well rotted manure & garden compost can be added over the years

Several people have asked the same question, you might want to trawl through the older threads for more info
          Not much point in half filling a raised bed that is only six inches to start with though. Compost/soil settles and a three inch layer will shrink considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            Not much point in half filling a raised bed that is only six inches to start with though. Compost/soil settles and a three inch layer will shrink considerably.
            I disagree. My beds were that high to start wth. I just turned the soil over and added a little MPC the first year. Over the last few years I have added home made compost, muck etc and added more boards as they grew.

I trialled one bed as a "lasagne" bed made of layers of straw, cardboard, muck and compost, this raised the level well and work nicely. Grew some great parsnips in there the first year.

Here is a link http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post340162
            Last edited by FionaH; 21-02-2011, 09:32 AM.
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by growerkari View Post
              I'm having a total brain fog this morning Trying to calculate how much compost or topsoil I will need to order to fill my raised beds.

I'm planning 5 beds, each measures 1x2meters & about 15cm deep, how do I calculate in ltrs how much I need to buy?

Any ideas? I think I need more coffee.......
              Google will do a calculation for you if you just stick it in the search box (sticking an "=" sign on the end can help). You need "*" for Multiplication, and be careful to spell the units correctly (and you need "Imperial Gallons" if you are using UK Gallons)

1 metre * 2 metres * 15cm =

gives 300 litres, or if you want different units use something like:

1 metre * 2 metres * 15cm in cubic feet =

which gives 10.59

If you are buying 70 litre bags your could do:

(1 metre * 2 metres * 15cm) / 70 litres =

which is a little over 4 bags (although that's probably "fluffed up" and you might need a bit more once it settles down
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I accept that as good reason for disagreeing with my view if the intention is to increase the depth over a period. However,my opinion was based on the need to have a realistic depth of ground to plant in immediately .

Comment

We never completely fill our beds in schools; I'd spend all my budget just on topsoil. The only place I've bought soil is where the soil wasn't actually soil under the grass, but dry sand.

We put the beds down, cover all the grass with anything and everything that we can can get hold of - shredded paper, newspaper, peelings - with cardboard over the top of that, and compost [home made usually] over the top of that. Then plant through the cardboard using a bulb planter. You get a few weeds poking through the hole but nothing major.

If you can pop a layer of manure under the cardboard even better.

Just layer it up, and when you harvest, mulch, and over winter let the worms pull the stuff down into the soil and next year's level will be higher.
                  Last edited by zazen999; 21-02-2011, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you for all of the replies, its helped alot, especially the idea of adding the shredded paper, veg peelings etc, I have loads of shredded paper, so that will help.

I was beginning to worry abit at the cost of all the compost I was going to have to buy to fill them all.

Comment

Originally posted by growerkari View Post

I was beginning to worry abit at the cost of all the compost I was going to have to buy to fill them all.
                      So was my husband! Thats why I did the lasagne bed
                      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                        my opinion was based on the need to have a realistic depth of ground to plant in immediately .
                        Kari is, I believe, siting her raised beds on top of the soil she already has: therefore she already has a reasonable depth in which to plant
                        (Kari, you should fork that ground over before you start topping up the raised bed)

I've done a lasagne bed at school - the topsoil would've cost over £100. It's had layers of newspaper, grass clippings, annual weeds, garden compost, coffee grounds, autumn leaves and has just been topped off with upturned turves & some molehill soil
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Kari is, I believe, siting her raised beds on top of the soil she already has: therefore she already has a reasonable depth in which to plant

She doesn't make that point in her op and perhaps I made the wrong assumption, but then again, perhaps not. After all if she already has a reasonable depth of soil, why is she doing what isn't necessary? Only Kari can answer that un.

Comment

I usually work on a tonne of soil giving a metre cube-ish............which is great, apart from when you order 10 tonne of topsoil and a 20 tonne wagon arrives with the driver saying "Oh, they put a bit extra on for good luck!!!!!!!"
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

As long as they don't charge you for the extra Snadger.

Where can I find this wonderful company? I want to use them!
                              Last edited by Sylvan; 21-02-2011, 06:28 PM.
                              The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
                              • greenishfing
                                Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                                by greenishfing
                                Today, 09:42 AM
                              • Vince G
                                Ginger
                                by Vince G
                                Anyone ever tried growing their own ginger?

I'm having a go and have followed an instructional video on YouTube about it. I picked a lump of root out of the supermarket with "eyes" on it, little buds that then expand and burst to form the long stemmed leaves.

Not...
                                Today, 09:28 AM
                              • bramble
                                Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                                by bramble
                                Today, 09:25 AM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X