Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculating the volume of compost needed for raised beds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made the mistake of filling a raised bed purely with bags of compost some years ago as a novice. It took about 10 x 20 litre bags and it was on soil. My next three beds have been a lot easier and much cheaper with the lasagne method and my latest is a piece of ground covered in card for a few months through which I am going to plant potatoes as a start (have had some great advice on here).
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thanks guys, the beds are going on top of the lawn, I should have made that clear in my first post, sorry for any confusion.

I decided to use raised beds as I dont have an allotment and am taking over part of the family garden, which is most commonly used as the kids playground, so raised beds give my crops some protection against the kidlets just running straight over them.

I think the lasagne idea sounds perfect & will save me alot of pennies, so I might be able to afford some tickets to The Edible Garden show after all

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        I usually work on a tonne of soil giving a metre cube-ish............which is great, apart from when you order 10 tonne of topsoil and a 20 tonne wagon arrives with the driver saying "Oh, they put a bit extra on for good luck!!!!!!!"
        ..and they say you can't get owt for nowt these days! Well done Snadger!
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thanks to all of you for this advice. I put the boarding up for a raised bed in the poly on Saturday. Know I have a few ideas of how to fill it.
          Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Comment

Yesterday I bought a raised bed that is 1mtr by 1 mtr and 15 cm deep. How do I calculate how much compost I require. I bought a raised bed as I only have a back yard and have previously used containers and now I wish to try square foot gardening.
            Any help gratly appreciated.

Comment

15cm is very shallow: is your bed going to sit on soil?
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My maths says 150 L of compost

Comment

The frame has a depth of 6" . I've no soil as I only have a concrete yard.

Comment

Thank you Thelma for the answer.
                    Bill

Comment

For future reference, rowlawn and the like have soil/compost volume calculators on their site [based on their products mind]

Comment

Originally posted by thepict View Post
                        The frame has a depth of 6" . I've no soil as I only have a concrete yard.
                        You will struggle to grow much in only 6" of soil/compost. You'd be much more successful if you could double that, or alternatively grow in deeper pots
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X