Root Trainers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
    I've just taken delivery of my first ever root trainers. What have you got in yours now please? I'm itching to play with them.
    Used mine for the third time this season; done two sowings broad beans - now early peas. They are brilliant!
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Sorry to enter this discussion a bit late, been away... Huge fan of RT's and think they've improved in quality from the first lot which were very flimsy and fragile, now the hinges last much longer. If the hinges have gone simply put them all 8 rows in the holder in the right configuration and then tweak them into position in the holder, much easier than trying to fit them together and then put in the holder....
      Couple of things not emphasized much above,
      a) there are two sizes, understandably the deeper ones are now most popular for longer/deeper rooted beans, sweet peas etc, the shorter ones for anything else - e.g. beetroot, turnip, swede, kohl rabi, herbs etc. Ensures workable modules and makes everything so easy to transplant. Personally I don't think either length are suitable for deeper root crops such as carrots, parsnips etc.
      b) No-one seems to have mentioned raising the holder up once roots appear at the bottom, causing more roots to grow down the channels. The holder has flanges so they can be suspended between, say, a couple of house bricks; I put some foil underneath to increase the light and discourage water roots, encourage new roots, seems to work a treat.
      So way way way superior to furry loo-rolls imho - lol though I like the teabag idea, especially as even the occupants of the wormery don't seem to think much of teabags... Anyone get Typhoo tasting broad beans?

Comment

As I've said before, I'm also a huge fan of RTs. Just as a point of interest, the original company which produced them was taken over last year by a much larger gardening conglomerate, I looked at the prices of their transparent lids yesterday - mine need replacing - and they're now cost prohibitive as far as I'm concerned.

I'll continue to use RTs as I'm careful with the books and I'll probably try out the cheaper French alternative when I need to replace them.
        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

That's interesting TonyF, Haxnicks still claim to be "the home of rootrainers" so was the whole company taken over...? By...?? The lids are still sold separately for £2.50 (presumably +p&p) at
          Component Parts - Rootrainers - Page 1
          As I've only ever seen Haxnicks I'd always assumed they'd been patented but maybe not so, are the "cheaper French alternative" you mention available in the UK? And are they just the same, as good?

Comment

I love 'em.

That's all!

Comment

I have started off some peas in Haxnicks long root trainers. The root was out of the bottom and thE pea plant was only half an inch out of the top. I feltvi should then plantvthem out but there was no root system to speak of and the compost just fell apart when taken out.

I am now wary of trying out Sweetcorn courgettes cucumbers and beans! Am I doing anything wrong?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Why did you need to plant them out cos the root was out the bottom?
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Bad intuition! I thought it would just keep coming out of the bottom and be too long to plant......can you cut it off?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

More sweet peas gone in mine. Four times used this season already - love em to bits!
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Used them for the first time last year for my runner beans. Will most certainly use them again this year.

Colin
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
                        Bad intuition! I thought it would just keep coming out of the bottom and be too long to plant......can you cut it off?
                        When it comes out the bottom, it will eventually dry out encouraging more roots to grow (like pinching out a shoot encourages more sideshoots etc)

Unless you've got it sat in water it wont send that one root out too far..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X