Best cherry tomato variety?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Plot6B View Post
    For me it's got to be Suttons Hundreds and Thousands (Micro) Not cheep seeds I know but you get loads and loads of grape size fruits. It's best grown in Hanging Baskets or Containers.
    I grew these 100's & 1000's this (last!) year and they were lovely. I know they're expensive but I'll be growing them again this year in containers. Had a permanent breakfast cereal bowl full of them in the kitchen - perfect for snacking on!

Lots of you seem to like the Black Cherry - might give them a go as well.
    Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

ive grown 100's and 1000's for the last two years. the seeds are a bit pricey but i grew last years from saved seed with no problems.

this year im trying black cherry.
      http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

I love Balconi red cherry tomatoes, dense little bushes that hardly need staking and prolific crops.

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
          quimby44, I don't grow many bush cherries, but I have enjoyed Koralik...
          I grew some of these last year, they were good. I think they were a trial seed though, and I'm struggling to find any now.
          Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post
            I grew some of these last year, they were good. I think they were a trial seed though, and I'm struggling to find any now.
            Garden Organics have them The Organic Gardening Catalogue
            and also DT Brown.

Or I've got some saved seed from last year if you want to send a SAE for some.
            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DavidJP View Post
              I think you might want to try Piccolo its a very nice red cherry tomato and doesn't have the splitting problem I've sometimes had with Sungold (probably down to me) but would also recommend Sungold. The good thing about Piccolo is that I think Sainsbury's is still selling them and you can get seeds from those and plant. Despite the claims that it is an F1 I've been growing them from seed saved from the supermarket for several years and they all seem to come true. I believe from previous discussions of this forum that others have had the same experience.
              Yes David, I came to the same conclusion!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm growing lost of bush toms this year as one of my schools is merging with another during the summer hols so we want to move the lot - and vines would just be a nightmare.

So could I add a request for any normal sized bush varieties that people could recommend, or are they mainly cherry sized?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                  I'm growing lost of bush toms this year as one of my schools is merging with another during the summer hols so we want to move the lot - and vines would just be a nightmare.

So could I add a request for any normal sized bush varieties that people could recommend, or are they mainly cherry sized?
                  We grew some of "The Amateur" variety last year, and they did very well. They were bushes, but didn't sprawl everywhere (fairly compact), and they produced lovely medium-sized tomatoes. They lived up to their name. Dead easy!
                  http://www.twitter.com/sbeneli

Comment

Tasty? [That's always my number one request!!!]

Comment

Tasty? [That's always my number one request!!!]
                      Yep. We enjoyed them very much and are growing them again this year!
                      http://www.twitter.com/sbeneli

Comment

Originally posted by DavidJP View Post
                        I think you might want to try Piccolo its a very nice red cherry tomato and doesn't have the splitting problem I've sometimes had with Sungold (probably down to me) but would also recommend Sungold. The good thing about Piccolo is that I think Sainsbury's is still selling them and you can get seeds from those and plant. Despite the claims that it is an F1 I've been growing them from seed saved from the supermarket for several years and they all seem to come true. I believe from previous discussions of this forum that others have had the same experience.
                        Will Piccolo grow outside or does it need a greenhouse or polytunnel?
                        The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post
                          Originally posted by poly View Post
                          Garden Organics have them The Organic Gardening Catalogue
                          and also DT Brown.

Or I've got some saved seed from last year if you want to send a SAE for some.
                          Simpson's Seeds have them as well.
                          The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Thanks Poly and Sylvan. Seems like I need to brush up on my googling.

Funnily enough, posting this morning inspired me to have a look around at home as I was sure I still had some seeds left, and I found them

Thanks a lot for the offer though.
                            Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                              Will Piccolo grow outside or does it need a greenhouse or polytunnel?
                              I've only ever grown them in a greenhouse and as its a supermarket commercial tomato I suspect thats the way it has been bred for. But I think it would be worthwhile a try outside as my greenhouse is a little shaded at times and sometimes sheltered spots outside can get almost as warm. However thats in a very sheltered south facing garden 2 miles from the coast in the south of the Isle of Wight so fairly warm in a UK wide sense.
                              Last edited by DavidJP; 04-02-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I've found these bush tomatoes to be tasty, both fresh and cooked, I'm sure there are many more but...

Korall, red slicer
                                Latah, red salad type, quite sweet
                                Maja, Swedish early small salad type, nice
                                Mobil, red salad type
                                Scotia, red slicer, good flavour
                                Silver Fir Tree, red slicer, pretty foliage

I think I have saved seed (not bagged) of all of these if you need any for the schools
                                Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X