Best cherry tomato variety?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quimby44 View Post
    hi are the black cherry hard to grow as i have only started growing my veg last year grew sun gold toms they turned out ok cheers mate
    No more difficult than any other tomato. Good luck!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

can anybody please tell me if there is a "bush cherry"tomato what is easy to grow cheers

Comment

quimby44

I've moved your post to one that lists lots of cherry tomatoes, in the hope that someone will answer for you

Comment

Originally posted by Gurberly View Post
          I'm giving "Vilma" a go for the first time this year.... looks good in the piccie on the packet (don't they all ). Has anyone else tried it?
          I grew a couple of plants last year. Really compact plants so easy to grow in a pot. Mine were in a greenhouse and from what I remember they produced a good crop of red cherries.

quimby44, I don't grow many bush cherries, but I have enjoyed Maskotka, Ditmarsher, Koralik, Hundreds and Thousands which like to trail so great in a basket. For a dwarf bush type Sweet and Neat are quite tasty and stay small enough to grow on a windowsill
          Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by King Carrot View Post
            I found some dehybridised Sungold earlier today and (against my best laid tomato plans for 2011) bought some of the Tomato Sungold Select 2. I was pointed that direction from some posts I'd been reading on a US forum. I'm trying the Richmond River Green Apple Cucumber from them as well.

At the bottom of the page!

TOMATOES S to Z - Solana Seeds
            Did you order them from that site?
            Are there any complications with buying seeds from America?

EDIT: Erm, sorry, Canada
            Last edited by Sylvan; 31-01-2011, 09:18 PM.
            The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Thanks so much for your recommendations everyone, I had a few days offline so couldn't come back to reply. I am up for growing lots of different varieties (determined to curtail my enthusiasm and grow lots of what I know we eat this year rather than lots of stuff we don't!), so sounds like I will definately be trying Sungold and Black Cherry and maybe even the hundreds and thousands and the tomatoberry ones - saw those in the T&M catalogue last year and was tempted! I'll probably aim for something like 6 or 7 tomato plants this year as last year 4 wasn't enough! I'm nervous of trying cucumber again as I had a big fail on those last year, and only produced one or two sizeable cucumbers out of 4 plants And melons were worse!

Comment

Originally posted by PrideRavyn View Post
                I'm nervous of trying cucumber again as I had a big fail on those last year, and only produced one or two sizeable cucumbers out of 4 plants
                I had a lot of success last year with miniature white cucumbers from Real Seeds and Prima Top F1 cucumbers from Suttons. The Prima Top were expensive but they did really, really well. Our Marketmore plants barely produced in comparison.
                http://www.twitter.com/sbeneli

Comment

I had a awful reputation with cumbers I always managed to murder at least 50% of my plants.

For the last 2 years I have grown F1 Baribal a mini all female type with great success. Last year, my first with a green house I had one plant from floor to apex and then along a string for about another 6ft. That one plant would have supplied me but I had 2 others in a lean to and they were nearly as prolific.

The seed would seem expensive at over 75p each but I was giving cumbers away.

One plant only this year.

Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I was certainly not green fingered with mine, my first three plants were sick to the extreme and then i bought one from the garden centre as a small plant and that gave me two cucumbers and then died a death as well. The melons went fantastic until I potted on and then literally within a day of being potted on, were completely wilted and then continued to become crispy and dead. I planted more and they grew fine but never got any fruit at all, maybe it was too late in the year. However everyone else I gave baby melon and cucumber plants to got tons of both. Boo hoo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                      Did you order them from that site?
                      Are there any complications with buying seeds from America?

EDIT: Erm, sorry, Canada
                      I've ordered from them - should arrive in the next week or so. I ordered Tomato seeds from another Canadian grower just after New Year and the seeds arrived in about 10 days.

I believe everything is above board sending seed from Canada to Europe, can’t be bothered actually checking up on it though
                      Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Sungold's been my favourite for a few years, but Golden Gem beat it last year for flavour and less skin-splitting
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          I had a awful reputation with cumbers I always managed to murder at least 50% of my plants.
                          More likely suicide rather than murder - if it makes you feel any better! As the saying goes "Cucumbers wake up each morning thinking of another way to die"

I grow at least twice as many plants as I need and usually have just enough to plant out. Keep the stems dry and don't deep-plant them are the only two suggestions I have, but in my case that has never been enough
                          Last edited by Kristen; 02-02-2011, 05:43 PM.
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Plot6B View Post
                            For me it's got to be Suttons Hundreds and Thousands (Micro) Not cheep seeds I know but you get loads and loads of grape size fruits. It's best grown in Hanging Baskets or Containers.
                            this one gets my vote as well i was amazes at the number for toms it produced
                            The longest journey always started with a single step

Comment

Kristen thankyou that makes me feel much better, its good to know I am not the only one who has trouble with cumbers.

Colin.
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I think you might want to try Piccolo its a very nice red cherry tomato and doesn't have the splitting problem I've sometimes had with Sungold (probably down to me) but would also recommend Sungold. The good thing about Piccolo is that I think Sainsbury's is still selling them and you can get seeds from those and plant. Despite the claims that it is an F1 I've been growing them from seed saved from the supermarket for several years and they all seem to come true. I believe from previous discussions of this forum that others have had the same experience.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X