What did you sow today.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Poured a packet of sweetcorn onto damp kitchen paper yesterday and covered with clingfilm. 1 has already germinated.........
    3 weeks until they are ready for planting out I reckon - you bought that heated greenhouse yet?
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

• Sown yesterday:

sweet peas
      leeks (Autumn Mammoth and Lyon Prizetaker)
      nasturtiums
      come visit a garden
      or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Today I sowed my first seeds of the year

3 cherry tomato plants (they only grow 40cm high apparently, sorry can't remember the name, Tiny Tim maybe?!)

3 mixed nasturtiums

3 hollyhock
        Gayle

Container gardening this year, bring on the Spring!

Comment

• A couple of days ago:
          36 Telephone peas.

Today:
          a pinch of Rocket in a pot.

Later today:
          a tray of Sturon Onions
          a tray of Brussels sprouts

Maybe some Land Cress outside if there's time before it gets dark.
          (might do that tomorrow)
          Last edited by timethatthetaleweretold; 26-02-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Sowed some left over Apache chilli's, californian wonder peppers and varying tomatoes for the folks today, they seem to have more shelter and sun a few miles down the orad, so if they turn out better than mine I may nick em back.

Comment

• 49 little gem in modules
              A pot of early Nantes carrots in 50/50 sand and last years compost used for a rather poor effort of a courgette plant

Loving my allotment!

Comment

• At last I have made a start, bliss to get the hands in compost again.

Today 26 sungold, 26 tumbler and a good few sweet peppers.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• 52 tomatoes? You're worse than me! (I've only sown 45 so far - and 21 of those were accidental )

I sowed 7 different varieties of tomato late last night - but only one seed of each.
                  Last edited by Sylvan; 26-02-2011, 10:36 PM.
                  The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• Spare seeds

Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                    52 tomatoes? You're worse than me! (I've only sown 45 so far - and 21 of those were accidental )

I sowed 7 different varieties of tomato late last night - but only one seed of each.
                    What do you do with your extra seeds? If you only plant a few of each you must have lots left over. The seed packets generally only give a seed life of a couple of years! Is this not true?

Roy

Loving my allotment!

Comment

• I've always used seeds for longer than they say you can. They last longer if you reseal the packets and keep them as dry and cool as possible.
                      I think the seed companies tell you they will only last two years for at least a couple of reasons...

1) So people won't come back to them, complaining, when their 3 or 4 year old seed doesn't germinate as well as they'd like it to.

2) So people will buy new seed every couple of years.

A few weeks ago some of the experts on this site told me that tomato seed lasts for many years, so this year I'm sowing just one or two of lots of different varieties, to see which we like best (and which thrive best in our conditions).

I also give extra seeds to friends and family (and people here sometimes swap seeds).
                      The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• One of my friends sowed some 7 year old tomato seeds last year and had a 90% germination rate. As Sylvan says keep them cool, dark and dry.
                        History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

• 28 Broad beans in paper pots i made last night

Comment

• Two seeds of 'Marketmore' Cucumbers in one pot, not sure if it's way too early but I could always chose the best of the two and see what I get, I will also plant a few more in April as the packet says, just to be sure.

Comment

• Just read about module planting for spring onions and have now also planted about ten seeds in each of the 12 modules, tried also with three beetroot per module.

Comment

• I've sown Boltardy beetroot in little paper pots, was nice being my greenhouse during the rain.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X