Potatoe bags/tubs/sacks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    Just a thought. If your buckets are translucent and you're worried about light getting to the spuds, just wrap the buckets in black refuse sacks.

As potatoes are mainly water, I was wondering how moist to keep the growing medium? I've not tried growing potatoes this way before and am worried about fungal infections. Any comments?
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Hello Terrier, I've grown my poataoes in buckets with very good results. No problems with fungus or anything else. Yes, they do like to be quite well watered. I drill holes in the sides of the buckets, near the bottom, so that I can check that water is getting right down there.
      I grew some in dustbins, and put a tube with holes in it, down the centre of the bin to ensure water was getting to the bottom. At the end of the day, when I worked it out, the crop was better from the buckets than the bin, so sticking with buckets.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Sounds like we're OK then Alice! - I just need to pinch some of my Dad's chitted Charlottes now
        Last edited by Ratty; 24-03-2007, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by welsh veg grower View Post
          Have always planted potatoes in old compost bags, fed bags from the farm. One per bag and added soil / compost as the plants grow. Easy to turn out and you dont miss any in the ground when digging up.
          How much compost/soil do you put in the bag initially? I have some spare seed potatoes which will not make it into prepared beds due to lack of space. I was thinking of just using some compost bags for them.

Comment

Ok, I have a question about growing potatoes in Tubs. When you grow them in the ground, you earth them up - in pots can you not just plant the potato at the bottom of the tub and then just fill the pot to the brim with soil? Is there any point in earthing up in stages in a pot? It's just something that crossed my mind today as I planted all my 'swift' into pots today. Can someone explain the benefit of earthing up in pots please. cheers.

Comment

E
              From what I've picked up from other grapes, you need to keep "earthing up" as the potatoes grow on the stem as well (I think) so they are not all down the bottom where you planted them. I use old compost bags and just plant them with the tops rolled down and then when the shoots appear cover them up with compost again, same principle as earthing up.
              If I've got that wrong someone will be along to put me right!
              best wishes
              Sue

Comment

but if you plant the seed potato at the bottom of a big pot as I've done - why earth up as they grow, why not earth up to the top of the pot straight away as they should still have a stem to grow on...do you see what I mean.

Comment

You can do it that way too Eskymo. I personally like to earth up a bit at a time - that way I know the darned thing is growing!
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

I was gonna buy a couple of though potatoe grow bag thingys as nowhere to grow tatties in garden but after reading this I've got a couple of old compost bags(which I've always kept to use as hanging basket liners before)so will hopefully give that a try,is it to late to plant now & wheres cheapest place to get some seed potatoes in small quantity as a bag of them would be to many for me & most would go to waste

Madbrad

Comment

Not sure about that madbrad, my local B&Q were selling them but they were in quite large bags. I did see some smaller bags in Sainsburys Homebase though. Do give it a go - I've planted tatties in buckets which I bought from Morrisons - 8 buckets for 99p. They are doing really well.

Bernie aka Dexterdog
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

So it's not too late to plant some now? We've just moved house and I haven't had chance to plant anything yet. My pots will have to go in tubs cos I haven't enough room in the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetcorn View Post
                          So it's not too late to plant some now? We've just moved house and I haven't had chance to plant anything yet. My pots will have to go in tubs cos I haven't enough room in the garden.
                          Hi Sweetcorn No i dont think its too late give it a go
                          Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                          Dobby

Comment

1st post

hello to you all,
                            i have to say after reading on here for hours now i love this place.
                            re the potato growing issue i once grew the best potatoes i have ever tasted in a moses basket. when my children progressed to a cot i thought it would be nostalgic to grow some tatties in the basket i just kept "earthing up" till i could "earth up" no more and it worked having read all of your posts about this issue I'm going to try the compost bag and a plastic bin my kids think Ive gone cook-coo as i sit here smiling to myself thinking of the project I'll let you know how i get on.

Comment

Welcome to the vine Nosferato and hope you can join us for many happy hours - when it's raining. Do let us know how you get on with your potatoes - and what else you are growing.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

The idea of topping up the pots gradually is so that the haulms actually get brief interludes of light before thay are covered again ensuring that the tuber isnt expended before the haulm reaches the top of the pot or container and remains healthy whilst growing. by only adding a few inches at a time the haulm can quickly break through without all of the foiliage looking "blanched" and white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X