No announcement yet.

Potatoe bags/tubs/sacks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew mine in large polypots last year one inside the other to get enough height and I had great crops of Charlotte and Pentland Javelin. I got mine from Kays Discount Supplies and they were quite reasonably priced.

Comment

I usually grow in the ground but I've used tubs in the past. This year I'm letting my 2 year old grand daughter have a tub and a seed potato - Arran Pilot - hope to introduce her to the magic of home grown veg!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I used a tip from the vine to grow my spuds - I took a grow bag and split it across it's middle through one side - so it looks like a couple of saddlebags - and have planted one seed potato in each side - because they are still joined they support each other and don't fall over - I thought it seemed like a great idea - will let you know how it goes! Have also planted 2 pots into a very large childrens toy bucket - approx 2 foot diameter & 2 foot deep -and will see how they go, must admit I was a bit impatient and had a dig down to see if anything was happening - the seed potatoes seem to have expanded and have lots of roots - I hope this is right!
        How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

I'm still chitting...think I'll plant at the end of the month

Comment

Originally posted by eskymo View Post
            I'm still chitting...think I'll plant at the end of the month
            Same here eskymo!
            Easter weekend most prob!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi, I got 3 50cm terracotta colour plastic pots from Poundstretcher at the weekend to put some spuds in, I am trying Pentland Javelin, so hopefully they will do well, was going to put 3 seed potatoes in each pot.

Comment

Earlies are planned to go in on Easter Monday (both off work), main varieties of early into the ground on plot no2, and the trial varieties into large 'fun tubs' (2' diameter, 2' tall pots) in the back yard. Main crops will go in shortly after methinks!
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

BW has 'chitted' some of ours, but they are now growing roots as well as nice green foliage. Should they be planted quickly now or can they wait a bit longer?

Comment

Im trying mine in tyres. I have started off planting in the ground, and when the shoot grows thru, shore it up with soil in a tyre "collar". I'll keep stacking them on top of each other as the shoot comes through until its about 4 tyres high. Now I've never done this, but got the idea from someone and reckon it should work. Once they are ready for harvesting, I shall take one tyre off at a time and hopefully have a goldmine of fresh spuds. I used Rocket Earlies and they are already in... 3 per tyre. Heres hoping!

Comment

Have always planted potatoes in old compost bags, fed bags from the farm. One per bag and added soil / compost as the plants grow. Easy to turn out and you dont miss any in the ground when digging up. Have also used the big 1 ton bags used for builders sand etc. Ask builders on sites for them, they used to get money back on them but no longer do so they are happy to give them to you. They are ideal fill them with soil / compost and add your potatoes, I use them for carrots as well as if you roll the sides up the carrot flies can't get in.

I find digging difficult as I ahve a back issue and so this avoids all the digging but loath paying for expensive pots etc.
                      Bec
                      ----------------------------------------------
                      Am now happy - I can get out in the polytunnel again with the warmer weather.

Comment

I used one of those potato barrel things last year and have to say I was pretty disappointed. They are really expensive for what they are (basically a bit of corregated card and a plastic trim) and were no more successful that the buckets and bags I also used. If you stick to earlies and salad varieties you should have no problems. Nothing like the taste of a homegrown tattie!

Comment

To go back to Ratty's question - will orange buckets keep out enough light to stop the potatoes going green.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                            To go back to Ratty's question - will orange buckets keep out enough light to stop the potatoes going green.
                            I guess we're gonna have to give them a try Alice and report back to our fellow Grapes!

Comment

[QUOTE=shirlthegirl43;74862]I grew spuds in Morrison's flower buckets last year (8 for 99p). I drilled holes in the bottoms and filled with multi purpose compost, mixed in some chicken manure pellets at planting time and topped up as per earthing up instructions. They were great - clean and tasty. I suppose you could feed them more if you wanted to but for home use they were super just as they were.

By the way I used one seed potato per bucket and got enough spuds from each pot for a meal for four. So impressed I am doing it again on a larger scale this year! Good luck[/QUOT

What type did you plant Shirley? Ta chuck! Bernie aka Dexterdog
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hello Ratty, I think my brain must have been switched off. I was a bit worried by your question as my potatoes are out there in orange buckets, and all I could think was green ! But, that's the same buckets I grew my potatoes in last year and I had no green ones ! I think we can relax. Hope you get a great crop.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X