Greenhouse mangled

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse mangled

I just returned from holiday to find my Gardman 8x6 aluminuim greenhouse mangled into a heap. As its poly carbonate, none of the panes have smashed, but I suspect that some may have escaped.
    My question is, is it worth trying to unmangle it, or will it never be the same again? I dont want to spend hours or days trying to right it, if its going to be a waste of time
    Last edited by Davyburns; 18-11-2010, 11:26 AM.

How on earth did it get mangled?

Comment

I expect it was those crazy winds we had last week. Davyburns you have my deepest sympathies. My placcie gardman got mangled too. You can get them for about 40 quid but I'm going to try and rebuild it.

What's the frame like? If it's still in tact then surely it would be worth trying to restore it and I'm sure you could get replacement frames. Unless of course you really can't be bothered and have loads of money

If you did decide to buy another you could always make a cold frame out of the old stuff.

Comment

I would suggest that the frames have 'kinked' at various places, which will have stressed the metal. Even if you bend it all back to its oringinal form it will never be as strong as it was previously and so it'll be even more likely to do it again. Unless of course you reinforce it with some new struts.

Alternatively you might be able to salvage some of the parts to make a smaller greenhouse or as Shadylane says, a coldframe.
        Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
        Snadger - Director of Poetry
        RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
        Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
        piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Blimey!..........I'm glad I screwed mine down now.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've got an 8x6 Gardman Alluminium GH........you've got me quite worried. Mine is quite sheltered and not too open to the elements. Was yours in the open?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Blimey!..........I'm glad I screwed mine down now.
              Indeed.
              If you're going for one of the lower quality aluminium frames, you've really got to bolt them down

Gutting isn't it? What did you pay, about £300?
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Indeed.
                If you're going for one of the lower quality aluminium frames, you've really got to bolt them down

Gutting isn't it? What did you pay, about £300?
                I think it was about £360, but it had auto vents and a louvre window.

Yes neighbours tell me it was the winds last week, and they tried to lay it down gently and recover the polycorbonate for me.

It was in a quite protected area in the corner of my garden with 2 6 feet walls at the corners.

It actually isnt too bad at all considering, there are no serious kinks, but there are a few bends. It seems like the bolts coming adrift have stopped most of the structural damageIf it wasnt so bl**dy cold, I would try to get the frame aligned, and then take it from there.

Comment

Good Luck!
                  http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Oh no, mangling ... What a shame, you must have been really gutted to see that! My plastic 5-tier Gardman non-walk-in greenhouse has blown across the flippin garden TWICE now. This weekend's project is to somehow get it anchored/lashed properly to the fence. I'm just glad there was nothing in it
                    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
                    www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

Flipping heck you must feel gutted
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I had a glass paned aluminium one that got mangled twice through high winds.
                        My biggest mistake was rebuilding it the second time and hoping it would survive.........it didn't.
                        I would only rebuild it if you've got somewhere more sheltered to put it as the winter storms aren't over yet.

Rarely are they mangled beyond repair, but you may need to do a bit of straightening and strengthening!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
                          Oh no, mangling ... What a shame, you must have been really gutted to see that! My plastic 5-tier Gardman non-walk-in greenhouse has blown across the flippin garden TWICE now. This weekend's project is to somehow get it anchored/lashed properly to the fence. I'm just glad there was nothing in it
                          hi could i suggest you use electricians cable cleats there for holding outdoor cables securely round the side of buildings etc if you have an electrical wholesaler nearby theyll be able to sort you out or your local hardware shop no 3 or 4 cleat will go round your bars perfectly maybe take a piece to see which is best then screw straight through the plastic on to your fence this the most secure way of holding these that i can think of used it for my own worked a treat and low cost

Comment

Teengrower, thank you for the suggestion, that's a great idea! I was just going to get some rope but they'll probably rot - I shall look into the electrical stuff though. Thanks a million!
                            Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
                            www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

not a problem heres a picture so youre sure what your looking for
                              come in different sizes a 4 should fit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
                              • Vince G
                                Ginger
                                by Vince G
                                Anyone ever tried growing their own ginger?

I'm having a go and have followed an instructional video on YouTube about it. I picked a lump of root out of the supermarket with "eyes" on it, little buds that then expand and burst to form the long stemmed leaves.

Not...
                                Today, 09:28 AM
                              • bramble
                                Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                                by bramble
                                Today, 09:25 AM
                              • Florence Fennel
                                Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                                by Florence Fennel
                                Today, 09:06 AM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse