No announcement yet.

Runner/Kidney Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um - you are overfeeding them. 2-3 times a week is way too much. Once a week or fortnight is fine.

Runners don't like hot weather. French beans do better in heat, runners prefer cool wet summers.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Um - you are overfeeding them. 2-3 times a week is way too much. Once a week or fortnight is fine.

Runners don't like hot weather. French beans do better in heat, runners prefer cool wet summers.
      So if I dont feed them until 2 weeks time just water them every day and mist spray the leaves and flowers they should be ok ?
      I had used to grow them previously prior to 1999 when I had 3 strokes in 2 days but my memory is about as reliable as our weather <grin>
      Last edited by Royster1; 21-07-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Royster1 View Post
        So if I dont feed them until 2 weeks time just water them every day and mist spray the leaves and flowers they should be ok ?
        I had used to grow them previousley prior to 1999 when I had 3 strokes in 2 days but my memory is about as reliable as our weather <grin>

I said that ages ago lol. Too much fert always shows up in the leaves and if you lose leaves the beans cannot grow.

Once a week i do mine if i remember. I try to do them at weekends then its easier to remember. I havnt had a stroke and i forget everything so you are in good company here.

As Two Sheds says, they prefer the cooler weather. The sun is only on mine in the morning then it is behind them. Dwarfs can manage with less water too so maybe grow the dwarfs where the runners are if its too sunny next year.

I could see your leaf drop. It has to be the food. I wouldnt feed them again for a couple of weeks but loads of water.

I dont know if you are aware, but bean roots leave deposits of nitrogen in them so its always a good idea to leave the roots on the soil when you cut them down. You can see the bits on the roots later on, like little bobbly balls.

Sara
        http://sara-howdoesyourgardengrow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Has anyone any ideas please?
          I have grown a large trough full of runner beans very healthy looking to begin with loads of flowers ( still more growing lots of beans BUT!!! the leaves have started dying I water them every day feeding them with Phostrogen 2-3 times a week, I cannot understand the leaves dying can you help please
          when you say 'trough' how big a trough are we talking about and how many plants? and are they climbing or dwarf?

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
            when you say 'trough' how big a trough are we talking about and how many plants? and are they climbing or dwarf?
            Hi the trough is made out of a scaffold plank ie: 9"X9"X 6'-0" long
            theres 10 plants in it so they're about 7" apart

Comment

Hi the trough is made out of a scaffold plank ie: 9"X9"X 6'-0" long
              theres 10 plants in it so they're about 7" apart
              Royster1s Beans pictures by Royster180 - Photobucket

Comment

Your bean plants look fairly young at the mo and if they pick up a bit you will find that they become very crowded as they send out shoots all over the place and wrap round each other. If you cant get behind them to pick the beans you may have a problem because when beans get missed and grow too too big i think this sends a signal or something to the plant and it will stop yeilding so much.

Have you stopped feeding them now? lol It might be worth flushing them through with lots of water to rinse the feed away.

If it was me i would probably thin them out a bit but i am in a world of my own anyway

I dont know if your trough is deep enough with all that you have planted. The marigolds are great for attracting the blackfly from your beans but they take up a lot of room when they get going.
                Last edited by Bountyhunter; 22-07-2010, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the plants may well be too crowded: I plant mine at 9"-12" apart. See how they go

Comment

Originally posted by Bountyhunter View Post
                    Your bean plants look fairly young at the mo and if they pick up a bit you will find that they become very crowded as they send out shoots all over the place and wrap round each other. If you cant get behind them to pick the beans you may have a problem because when beans get missed and grow too too big i think this sends a signal or something to the plant and it will stop yeilding so much.

Have you stopped feeding them now? lol It might be worth flushing them through with lots of water to rinse the feed away.

If it was me i would probably thin them out a bit but i am in a world of my own anyway

I dont know if your trough is deep enough with all that you have planted. The marigolds are great for attracting the blackfly from your beans but they take up a lot of room when they get going.
                    I never have trouble with black green or any other flies when I put marigols around them, maybe I'll take then out of the trough and put them in seperate pots they also hep attract the bees.
                    Ive already done that 'flushed the feed out' to the tune of 10 gallons of water

Comment

I never have trouble with black green or any other flies when I put marigols around them, maybe I'll take then out of the trough and put them in seperate pots they also hep attract the bees.
                      Ive already done that 'flushed the feed out' to the tune of 10 gallons of water
                      Bladdy hell, you dont do things by half, ten gallons of water? pmsl

Your poor beans, they must be very confused! They might go into a shock or something now ha ha.

I have marigolds planted by my beans too but i find the ants do a pretty good job eating the ones that do get on them.

We have to cross everything now and see what happens, i hope i haven't made you kill you beans.

Comment

they look really healthy to me, hope the ends of the poles are secured to something so it doesn't all fall over.
                        that's a lot of watering for you, next year, why not make it two planks deep?

Comment

i find the ants do a pretty good job eating the ones [blackfly] that do get on them.
                          Ants don't eat aphids, they protect & farm them

Comment

I had used to grow them previously prior to 1999 when I had 3 strokes in 2 days but my memory is about as reliable as our weather <grin>
                            Just water when they need it and stop misting.....that's probably why the leaves are frazzled.

If you do want to feed them, then a tomato feed rather than phostrogen would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              Ants don't eat aphids, they protect & farm them
                              What do you mean?

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                              Just water when they need it and stop misting.....that's probably why the leaves are frazzled.

If you do want to feed them, then a tomato feed rather than phostrogen would be better.

I told him to mist the plant in the evening to help the beans set. The leaves are more than likely burnt from too much food, hopefully he is sorted now

Comment

What do you mean?
                                The ants tickle the aphids into producing 'honeydew' which they eat. They don't eat the ants, they protect them, and will even go collecting them to put on your plants.

Also, misting the bean flowers is an old wives' tale. Sorry
                                The RHS says "Don’t mist or syringe the flowers with water (as used to be advocated) as this has not been shown to help pod-set" http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=381
                                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-07-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X