No announcement yet.

my poor sweetcorn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably for the taller ones but I planted 48 plants out in blocks of 12, for successional cropping, so it should help my smaller plants as they catch up with the rest.

Reet
    x

Comment

I was lucky mine is all close together and sorounded by a fence and some peas/tomatoes on each side. Seems it all holds itself together quite well. Most have 2 cobs showing their threads now

Comment

When i start my sweet corn off i put the seeds in a sandwich box with damp kitchen paper on the bottom with kitchen paper on top of the seeds.

When the seeds show sign of growth i plant them in 3" pots and when the roots come out of the pot, i plant them in 2 litre pots and when the roots out grow that pot i plant out.

My sweetcorn now over 5ft tall and i place 6ft canes next to them, tied in with cable ties.

Hoping for a good crop with 2 cobs to each plant

Comment

Originally posted by runnerbean View Post
          i place 6ft canes next to them, tied in with cable ties.
          but, but .... why?
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The wind snapped one of mine and bent the rest!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Was away and dreading what I'd come back to, all but one are ok, that one is snapped off at ground level - thankfullly they were all earthed up and I guess that helped.
              Life is too short for drama & petty things!
              So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                The wind snapped one of mine and bent the rest!
                Same here, noticed one that looked a bit withered and when I had a closer look it had snapped off at the base but there seem to be two side shoots, one of which looks like it has taken over so fingers crossed!
                AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  Sweetcorn can be earthed up as it grows: new roots growing from the stem will help to anchor the plant to the ground
                  Thanks for that information Two Sheds. Thats something else iv'e learnt. Guess what i'll be doing tomorrow.
                  "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

My sweetcorn got battered in the really high winds mid week, I got home from work at 8am and things were getting windy but was too tired to bother. Got up later at 2pm and a lot of them were at about 60° to the ground, I went and got some canes and staked every single one with some string, they've been ok since but I did lose one on thursday night as the bush next to them collapsed and broke one in half, still seems to be alive but I can't see it becoming anything useful.

These were my younger ones in the bed, all about 1.5ft tall, the potted ones and other bedded ones that are about 3ft survived it all except two which have a very slightl lean. Still might all be futile as they're all still suffering from this inexplicable complete chlorosis. The Squash got bashed about too but they're sturdy and have grown much stronger since.

Comment

Seems like close spacing might be useful from avoiding wind damage. My 4 sweetcorn per sq ft bed looks healthier than my 1 per sq ft at the moment!

Comment

Most of mine fell over in the wind too... I staked them back up so hopefully they should be okay. Leeks, Sprouts, Cabbage and Garlic are still leaning though.
                        Last edited by pjh75; 18-07-2010, 07:39 AM.
                        pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

with all this windy weather i made sure i didnt lose any of them by bending over or snapping that's why i put canes next to them.

Comment

4 of mine were blown over too. Propped em back up, seem ok so far!

Comment

My first time growing sweetcorn and one plant is obviously dying. It's gone yellow and dry. Does anyone know what I should do about it?
                              Last edited by Nottinghamnewbie; 19-07-2010, 05:12 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Comment

I've just been up the plot since the winds: sweetcorn is all OK, but two of my flags have snapped (Malta and England), the PSB cage had collapsed, and a sunflower has gone whoopsy.
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X