Help-my courgettes are giving up!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    Same here, this year. I've had loads of yellow Taxi, twice as many as Green Bush.

I've just made 10 jars of pickled courgettes (Di's recipe)
    Me too... far more gold rush than green bush, and they were much quicker.
    pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just registered on this site and am so glad this was the first post I read! Was starting to think it was time to give up on our courgettes - instead have cut the yellow leaves back and will start to feed more often and most importantly stop watching them & willing them on! We are away for a week from Monday so will hopefully come back to a courgette overload!

Comment

Originally posted by choufleur View Post
        One thing - Gojiberry, you said yours are trained up canes - mine are just planted in the ground but have seemed to spread pretty well. I am totally new to this and didn't realise I was meant to support them with canes. Will they be ok in the ground? I have built up the soil round the base so it is well supported and I don't let the courgettes rest on the floor
        It depends on the variety I think! Most of my courgettes are ground-sitters (Romanesco, Nero di Milano) but my one squash this year (potimarron) is definitely a climber - out of the bed, over a large heap of wood, back round again and on it's way out of the garden and into next door! It has long tendrils that grab on to help it go. I thought all courgettes were ground ones, but I have one (Tromboncino) that looks like it will be a climber, as it is going in one direction and has tendrils, so I'm building it a bamboo frame today to see what happens (first time growing this one)

HTH

Comment

I've just read this post and am very relieved I did. Was starting to think that my courgettes were doomed! Mine have been growing to about 4 inches, then just stopping. Will go home and nip them off (are at a useable size for chopping into a curry) tonight and give them all a feed. Thanks guys

Comment

I would also give them some Maxicrop Seaweed Extract, I always use it on my Courgettes and get a great crop all year long. Pollination is a problem at the moment but my trusty paint brush always helps with that.

Good luck!
            Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

tromboncino will grow up a cage, or just gro up, the textures not the same as a courgette though, it's denser, more like young squashes

Comment

Green Courgettes seem to be having a bad season this year as mine have been poor. have had a good crop from the seeds of Italy (can't remember the names) plants, one is a short pale green and excellent and the other is a very pale yellow warty trombone. Both of these are worth growing.

Ian

Comment

I've had a week off the lotty, and today picked 6 kg marrows & 3.5kg courgettes. Currently being made into
                  - 10 jars of pickle
                  - 10 jars of chutney
                  - 2 gallons of wine
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X