No announcement yet.

Help-my courgettes are giving up!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I had only grown courgettes this year, but at least three are squashes and big ones at that. Two are trained up bamboo canes and have got to the top of eight foot canes and another four foot along a horizontal cane. Not many fruit on them as yet but they ones that have pollinated are already looking to be a pound or two in weight.
    One of the courgette plants has turned a mottley brown but is still producing courgettes so just keep picking.
    It is normal for courgettes to have silvery patches but just watch that it is not white patches which could be mildew. Mildew can de combated by spraying with a milk solution. 1 part skimmed milk to 10 parts water.

Ian

Comment

Have only grown two plants which are coming on very well as just come back from the allotment - think a few days of it being a bit cooler and getting some rain has helped. As soon as the flowers started, I watered the plants with tomorite (or other tomato feed) once a week. If they're anything like the plants that we've grown over the last couple of years there'll be more than enough courgettes for us, family and neighbours.

Comment

I have nipped off the yellow leaves but the rest are a healthy green. I'm pretty sure it's not mildew as the leaves look pretty healthy - I will keep an eye on it though, thanks for the tip.
        One thing - Gojiberry, you said yours are trained up canes - mine are just planted in the ground but have seemed to spread pretty well. I am totally new to this and didn't realise I was meant to support them with canes. Will they be ok in the ground? I have built up the soil round the base so it is well supported and I don't let the courgettes rest on the floor

thanks

Comment

I normally grow them in pots but this year put them in my new raised bed. Two plants are now over a metre and a half square each and are producing new courgettes every day! I can not stop them growing and they have totally taken over the veg plot.

Comment

Maybe I will try them in pots next year -they do seem to take over a bit!
            Wish I had raised beds We only moved in 18 months ago so the whole patch is a work in progress.
            Still -I can dream for next year!

Comment

I have tried courgettes for the first time this year. Due to replanting thinnings I think I have about 20 plants in various different places and conditions, and I am looking forward to drowning in courgettes :-) I have 12 in the ground, 6 producing courgettes and 6 about one month behind. I have six thinnings in the greenhouse as an experiment to see how differently they come on with the extra heat and shelter, and a handfull outside in containers next to a wind defence (we have a very windy site and I believe courgettes are not wind hardy!). I also have about 10 squash plants in, some butternut F1 and some yellow something!

My first few courgettes are about 3 inches long at the moment and seem to be growing very quickly. Bring on the first harvest :-)

Rob

Comment

Drowning in courgettes - what a way to go! It's the first time I've tried them too, I have two different types of green courgette and some yellow "taxi" ones and they are both yummy -much sweeter than in the shops.

Fingers crossed my plants perk up a bit soon - I refuse to be unfaithful to them and return to the supermarket

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                  The thing with courgettes; is that they don't seem to like being watched. As soon as you turn away they seem to romp away and you can trip up over the growing fruits as you leave the garden, even though you swear you took all the useable ones off an hour earlier.
                  I've grown Black Beauty for the first time. I don't like them, I found 3 huge courgettes under the bush because I couldn't see them, the bush is just too unruly and a complete mess and the courgettes seem to grow out of the bottom while the plant grows upwards. How are you supposed to train one of these up a trellis

Italia de Verde (realseeds) on the other hand, is a spectacular courgette, lovely tasting, looks fantastic, the plant doesn't get too big and grows the fruit on easy to get to, top of plant. And it produces loads, at least equal if not more than the huge plants of BB and All Green bush.
                  Last edited by womble; 15-07-2010, 07:23 AM.
                  "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

It's my first time with Black Beauty too, they are in the ground as opposed to the All Green Bush in pots. They're not at the fruit stage yet, so I'll watch with interest.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

First time I've grown yellow ones, going to grow them again because you can actually see them in amongst the foliage

Comment

I tried yellow ones last year and loved them, but they were in pots and didn't perform as well as the green for some reason. Mmm, might start a few yellow off.
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Yellow generally aren't as prolific as the green (which might be good for some people ) but I like them as they are easy to see.
                          I grew them with great success years ago, but ever since then, they have always caught a virus and gone down very fast.

Not sure if it's the seed I had (always used the same seed packet) or if it's something to do with yellow courgettes.
                          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

My yellow ones actually seem to produce much more than the green ones - I have lots of babies just starting at present. Thay are so much easier to spot too!

Comment

Just joined the site as this is my problem.. My courgettes are growing well but rotting of three plants we have only had ONE courgette so far!! I pulled one plant today.. as it was swamping a the area... I will try to knock off the flowers ..
                              thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by choufleur View Post
                                My yellow ones actually seem to produce much more than the green ones
                                Same here, this year. I've had loads of yellow Taxi, twice as many as Green Bush.

I've just made 10 jars of pickled courgettes (Di's recipe)
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X