Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite has to be the Fatalli.
    Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

My failsafe favourite is Cayenne, grown from my own seed every year. It lives on the lotty and is virtually self-sufficient: I plant it and leave it. (I just ate the first red one y'day)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This is my first year growing chilli so I'll vote for the only one actually producing, which is Cayenne. The Anaheim, Bhut Jolokia, Twilight and Jalepeno sown around the same time are all looking good as green leafy plants but no sign of them flowering or fruiting yet.

Comment

I have to agree with Two sheds - Cayenne gets my vote. It may not be as pretty as some of the others but it overwinters well and if overwintered crops really heavily. I must have had 60 or more chillies from one plant last year.

Comment

I've voted for the Bhut Jolokia, not particularly for it's searing heat but more from the satisfaction of growing this tempermental beast, as,for me anyway, they are always a bit of a challenge.
            "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

My favourite is Joe's Long since I find them ideal added whole into curries and Indian pickles. Second has to be Aji types because they are prolific have a great citrussy flavour.

Comment

Another vote here for Bolivian Rainbow. What a brave, beautiful little plant! My first one grew to 3' high and more across and provided me with hundreds of many-coloured mid-heat fruits.

Great fun to grow, though I suspect they might be too hot for me, is Wenk's Yellow Hots. Long, fat chillies from pale yellow through orange to red appear on the plant at the same time. Stunning!

Then there's pretty, and pretty hot, Gelbe Kirschen, a neat little plant full of yellow cherries (as it says on the packet),

Fourteen different varieties are thriving in the conservatory this year and they are all wonderful in their own way; makes it hard to choose one. I'm agog to see what the Gindungo Cahombo are like. Got the seeds later than the others and the flower buds are just opening. Never a dull moment!

Comment

Hmm choices indeed, sooo many chilli's I love the Scotch Bonnets but in the end I voted for its cousin, the Habanero chilli, it's a wonderful family full of bright colours to chose from, they have a nice fruity taste or in the case of the chocolate Hab a fruity yet smoky taste with quite a respectable kick of heat to them. Yummy quite easy to grow as well! Mmmm yum I love them. would have voted for the Trinidad Scorpion but not on the list.
                  Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had to click the Rocoto................but not the ones I can grow here, the ones you buy in Peru. They are the size of large sweet peppers and come in all colours. They don't tend to grow very big here for the obvious reasons. Maybe people who have over wintered them for a few seasons get much larger fruit?

Comment

hi am growing apache chilli what size have they to be before i can use them

Comment

Pimenta de neyde has to be one of the prettiest but seeds are a rare or cost the earth.

There are over 4000 known varieties of chillis so lots to chose from. Those mentioning the cayenne's should seek some C.Chinense varieties for flavour. There are several heatless/ low heat varieties if blowing your head off isn't for you.

The Trinidad peppers are right up there with the Bhut's/ nagas for heat and flavour. Look out for the 7 pot/ pod and scorpion.

Chris

Comment

My favourites are the habaneros, they have a great flavour, as well as enough heat to make you appreciate them
                          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

i dont know a lot about them,but last year i was given a envelope with a big mixture in,i tried 4 last year in the greenhouse...great..this year i have 15 (thats to make sure i dont miss a type),we blanched them last year,not wearing gloves to prepare them,hands were red hot for 3 days,and the OH....wont do that again in a hurry

Comment

i'd say my favourite to eat raw would be the jalapeņo but my overall favourite would be african bird's eye because i love peri peri

Comment

Hungarian Hot Wax for me every year. Its a nice meaty, thick walled chilli without being too hot. I use it in stir fries and salads.

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X