Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broad Beans & Blackfly, to spray or not to spray?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a Boston Bean (bush variety) in a large pot which is smothered in Blackfly, another plant in the ground about 12 feet away (blackfly free) and 4 more seedlings coming up in one of my raised bed. The potted bean didn't seem to be growing very well so I have left that to the Blackfly, do you think they will spread to the Bean in the ground?

Comment

If you leave the blackfly, they will just multiply even more, and start to infest everything else that they can.
      Really: get rid.
      Pull up the plant if it's really beyond help, and compost it with the bugs attached. Crush underfoot first just to make sure.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        If you leave the blackfly, they will just multiply even more, and start to infest everything else that they can.
        Really: get rid.
        Pull up the plant if it's really beyond help, and compost it with the bugs attached. Crush underfoot first just to make sure.
        Thanks Two Sheds, consider them crushed and gone.

Comment

I pinched out the tops on mine about 10 days ago (to try to avoid the blackfly getting on them in the first place as I spotted lots of ants on my broadies, then I sauteed them and ate them (the broadie tops not the ants...lol) as suggested by Hugh Fernley whatsisname in his book....delicious
          My plants are various heights from about 8" to about 30" and still growing with lots of flowers and so far...no blackfly (touch wood)
          I'll be pinching some more tops off tomorrow to eat again.
          They are masterpiece green longpod.
          Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
            They're probably too small and they fly right by.

Hah!
            Groan

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieGardenerRow View Post
              I pinched out the tops on mine about 10 days ago (to try to avoid the blackfly getting on them in the first place as I spotted lots of ants on my broadies, then I sauteed them and ate them (the broadie tops not the ants...lol) as suggested by Hugh Fernley whatsisname in his book....delicious
              Well he's eaten slugs, so it probably won't be long before he fries up a few ants in garlic. He's eaten everything else.
              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Intresting to note from members locations, the black fly seem to be wallowing in the sunshine of London & its suburbs.
                Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

First blackfly squished today: only about a dozen of the little beasties, on one plant. More will follow

Comment

Well he's eaten slugs, so it probably won't be long before he fries up a few ants in garlic. He's eaten everything else.
                    euuuwww. Glad I missed that episode.
                    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      It doesn't affect yield at all.
                      I don't understand this. If I remove the tip of my broad beans that has blackfly then I'm also removing the flowers that are on that tip. Surely the flowers that I remove could potentially turn into broad beans, so removing them reduces my yield of broad beans? Or am I misunderstanding?

I understand that if I leave the black-fly as they are, then they won't produce broad beans, but surely spraying them with insecticide will kill the blackfly and allow the flowers to develop into beans without me having to remove them?

Comment

From what I've read of his books, he seems to want us to believe that he spends most evenings going out with a torch to squish the slugs. It's amazing that he has the time to spend every evening with the slugs as well as spending every evening brushing shoulders with the media people that make him rich.

A more suspicious person than I might suggest he makes his lesser paid skivvies go out with a torch whilst he relaxes a bit!

Personally, I use slug pellets or nematodes, I'll leave slug eating to the more affluent among us!

Comment

Originally posted by maypril View Post
                          I don't understand this. If I remove the tip of my broad beans that has blackfly then I'm also removing the flowers that are on that tip. Surely the flowers that I remove could potentially turn into broad beans, so removing them reduces my yield of broad beans? Or am I misunderstanding?

I understand that if I leave the black-fly as they are, then they won't produce broad beans, but surely spraying them with insecticide will kill the blackfly and allow the flowers to develop into beans without me having to remove them?
                          Nope, you're removing the tips which they love and thus reducing the chances of getting blackfly. If you are not averse to spraying then you'll get the flowers that are developing.

I pinched mine out before the blackfly anyways as a preventative measure.

Comment

Originally posted by maypril View Post
                            I don't understand this. If I remove the tip of my broad beans that has blackfly then I'm also removing the flowers
                            There aren't any flowers on the growing tip... it's just soft leaves, which is where the aphids start their attack.

The tip should be pinched out when the beans start to set. Alternatively, start broadies outside in November. By the time the blackfly comes along in June, the plants are too tough for the aphids to suck on
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-06-2010, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Yay! The spray worked - its genius (from Bayer Garden - Organic Bug Free). I had a look on Monday and nothing seemed to have changed and I thought that was it for my broadies….but last night, when I looked, the hoardes of black bodies were still there but on closer inspection when you touched them they just fell off the plant like dust! Great! I've still hacked down the plants that were really badly affected and with stunted beans, but from what's left, I should get a decent dinner from at least. I cannot believe what a problem we've had in the South with them so far this year - last night I even noticed that the ants were moving them onto my celeriac as well - so I guess I'll be spraying them too tonight!!

Comment

Originally posted by LolaLou View Post
                                Yay! The spray worked - its genius (from Bayer Garden - Organic Bug Free).
                                By the looks of it, that just seems to be soft soap already made up. If you buy it undiluted it will be much cheaper.
                                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X