Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broad Beans & Blackfly, to spray or not to spray?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a few plants with blackfly on but they don't appear to be spreading and I can live with loosing a few plants. I know you are all going to say they will soon spread, but the fly has been there over two weeks now and has not spread. I am so reluctant to spray as there are a lot of ladybirds about (may be why the fly are not spreading). A lot of the beans are ready for harvesting so wont be a problem for much longer.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
      By the looks of it, that just seems to be soft soap already made up. If you buy it undiluted it will be much cheaper.
      Ah ha! Always the way. I'm not very good with these sorts of things as I try not to spray as a general rule but this really was a last resort! Any idea where I can get the soft soap from in future?

Comment

You can get it most places now.
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I inspected my (crimson flowered) broad beans yesterday. I couldn't see any actual blackfly, although some new shoots seem to be peforated with black-ringed holes. So I pinched those tips, although I'm worried that I'll now get a very small harvest

How many flowers/beans would be normal per plant? (If that isn't a hugely dumb piece of string question)
          Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Gosh Caro, it depends on so many variables.
            I've only had 2-6 pods on my Violetta this year, much more on my mongrels (my own cross of Aquedulce, Crimson Flowered and Witkiem Manita that I just save every year)

You'll get more with warm weather; plenty of rain; few weeds; nutritious soil.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X