No announcement yet.

Is this the most trying season to date

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been a funny old year so far but I have plenty of stuff that's roaring away after a slow start. All in all I don't think I'll be that far behind previous years. What suffered most was the overwintered stuff. Some of the onions have gone to seed and the overwintered broadies are further behind than the March sown ones which now have plenty of little pods. I think what got most people was the frustration of not being able to get out and do stuff and a lot of us probably sowed things before we should have.

Like jeanied I'm hoping that all the blossom turns into fruit

Comment

it is a very trying year so far lost a few beans and courgettes but at the moment we need rain never thought i would say that
      Last edited by always digging; 29-05-2010, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        MR Z called me over to the old sweetcorn bed a the weekend [what a schmoozer]...I had left them where they stood for the insects to hibernate in and some cobs fell to the ground and the corn has germinated and I have about 30 new plants. And they are better than the ones I have tended in the greenhouse.

Mother nature has a way of compensating!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Here on the Wirral we have our own micro-climate. All my stuff has been outside since March and I think the last frost as at the beginning of that month. I may be mistaken about the last frost but my Toms, courgettes, chillis etc have either been out in the open or in the gh since then.

Comment

It is certainly a strange one. Gets warm then a cold snap. Think the plants are all confused they get a bit of growing done then checked back by the cold My sweetcorn under the cloche is the best I've ever grown though, already about 3ft high!

Comment

Has been raining here since last night. The ground was so dry and hard it was really needed.
              However the snails and slugs are now out in force, so let the battle begin.
              In the greenhouse the toms, peppers and cucs are doing well but the tomatoes have shown signs of stress from the very high temps and its been a full time job keeping them cool.
              With the change in the weather they are now starting to look slightly sorry for themselves with the lack of any sunshine.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Also had problems with my bean sowings and mangetout. Carrots are struggling to germinate and my Mizuna has gone to seed. Melon leaves in gh are crisped and not sure if they will survive. On a plus i have a decent sized cucumber growing outside on one of my plants.
                AKA Angie

Comment

Ok now i am starting to agree - the dodgy mixed weather has caused most of my pak choi and radishes to start to bolt anyone else been having stuff bolting?

Comment

Late frost killed my cherry tree and it now appears to have canker and my tomato seeds had to stay inside for so long that they went all floppy because they didn't have any wind or rain to harden them so I ended up buying them from the garden centre! But my plants are loving all this sun ATM, it's just keeping up with the watering!

Comment

Originally posted by kingkano View Post
                      Ok now i am starting to agree - the dodgy mixed weather has caused most of my pak choi and radishes to start to bolt anyone else been having stuff bolting?
                      Omw I know it's the start if June and my pak choi has bolted too!

Comment

I keep a blog/diary (I don't publish it) and looked back to last year thinking that everything was well behind because of the weather. And it isn't - not that much. The very dry spell we had certainly held things back and I've lost lots of beans - spent quite a lot (for me because I am quite 'careful') on some Cherokee Vale of Tears (?) beans and had 8 come up out of the lot ... 8! That's pathetic. One planting of Dwarf frenchies in the ghouse produced nothing. That's a first for me and I have to put it down to the peculiar weather. It could be incompetence of course but I would rather believe that it was the weather.

Comment

Add very strong winds a week or so ago - so the beans that did survive the cold were zapped by the wind! (sigh)
                          Today the greenhouse goes up - and it's roasting outside as well as in!
                          oh well...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X