No announcement yet.

Why do you eat it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought shop bought sweetcorn tasted good until I grew my own last year and it was cooked and eaten within three minutes of being harvested. I have never bought a cob since, I may only get it for a short time, but this too makes it more special. It becomes more of a treat.
    In addition no chilled, packaged, artificially ripened tomato can taste as good as a freshly picked, warm from the sun tomato from your own plot. Delicious.

Womble about nailed it.

Comment

homegrown purple broccoli

I grew some of this for the first and probably the last time; why do people rave about this? it had no flavour

Comment

Originally posted by MKPoshfan View Post
        I grew some of this for the first and probably the last time; why do people rave about this? it had no flavour
        What variety did you grow? I much prefer home grown to shop bought PSB.

Comment

Originally posted by COMPOST CORNER View Post
          I thought shop bought sweetcorn tasted good until I grew my own last year and it was cooked and eaten within three minutes of being harvested. I have never bought a cob since, I may only get it for a short time, but this too makes it more special. It becomes more of a treat.
          In addition no chilled, packaged, artificially ripened tomato can taste as good as a freshly picked, warm from the sun tomato from your own plot. Delicious.

Womble about nailed it.
          Since I started growing and eating my own sweetcorn, shop brought stuff tastes like it's been drenched in saccharine for some reason. Fake and not real.
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

You know where it came from, what chemicals were used (if any) and that its not come from anywhere apart from your own garden, and also the freshness, cant beat plant to pan in a couple of minutes.

Comment

I voted 'other' because there are none of these that say clearly '110% fresh'. Yesterday my sister visited for a cup of coffee. Just before she left I nipped out and pulled her enough rhubarb for a crumble. She phoned to say that they had it for pudding just 3 hours after it was picked and it was booful. It is the same with everything. I am not an organic gardener but the taste of something picked, cooked and eaten within a couple of hours just can't be beaten, however you grow it. And the whole family loves PSB cooked within the hour.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

the main reason it tastes so good is that you can harvest at the best moment not have it picked then put in a fridge then driven to a supermarket and packed in plastic . last year i ate some charlotte spuds and they were beautiful nice and fresh

Comment

Originally posted by always digging View Post
                  the main reason it tastes so good is that you can harvest at the best moment not have it picked then put in a fridge then driven to a supermarket and packed in plastic . last year i ate some charlotte spuds and they were beautiful nice and fresh
                  Hooray Always Digging.

Nice to get a new GYOer agreeing.
                  Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                  >
                  >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I also think "all" - but I went for the emotion one, as after all the time and effort, who wouldn't agree that it HAS to taste better?
                    I also like the lower miles argument, though I do notice that my freshly picked cabbage leaves don't last as long as the supermarket leaves, so perhaps there's also something about fewer preservatives...
                    And - with my greenhouse delivered and shortly to be erected - it certainly can't be anything to do with cost - I reckon each of my peppers / chilis / aubergines will have cost £25 by the time I get to harvest! But hey - it's a hobby, you're supposed to spend money on it :-)
                    Salilah

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X