No announcement yet.

Who Loves Spuds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yayyyyyyyy thank you Shirl, your link works beautifully. I've not voted yet, thought I'd say thanks first, as I may be some time deciding
    Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
      Where do I find the list? I can only see a
      I think she's trying to get you to look at the ads.

I wonder what this poll is for, because the methodology is utterly flawed if it's being used for anything serious! You can't keep adding new options throughout the duration of the poll! That utterly distorts the results.

Comment

Why has this been given a sticky?

There are many threads more worthy!
        The proof of the growing is in the eating.
        Leave Rotten Fruit.
        Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
        Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
        Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

I like Desiree,King Edwards and Golden Wonder-I'm going to vote for Desiree as it's the only one I grew so far.I's lovely spud(good flavour and texture),all purpose(maybe except from salad),bulking early for a maincrop and heavy yielding.

Maybe the poll should be more specific?I mean 1st early,2nd early and maincrop

Comment

Hi all I'm a total newbie to this forum so hello!
            After 18 long months on the waiting list myself and OH have got out sticky mitts on an allotment and have just put down out tats.
            We have:
            International Kidney
            Pink Fir Apple
            Rooster
            Shetland Black heritage variety

Anyone had any experience of the Shetland Black? ours originated from a rapidly chitting few in my dad's larder!! :-D

Comment

I grew one once to try it. I couldn't find half of them in our dark soil - they kept coming up for years!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I would say accent, but its not on the list. So i have dotted accord, which is meant to be a better version of accent. It suits my soil and is good scab resistance etc etc.
                I would put rooster for their roasting and flavour, but they dont like my soil here.
                "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Thanks for adding wilja to the list, I love wilja potatoes, they are the best tasting most versatile spuds and they store really well, I got my seed spuds off tattieman this year and am really pleased with the quality, am looking forward to lots of lovely spuds later in the year.
                  Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I love potatoes - hard to pick one from

Maris Piper
                    Home Guard
                    British Queens
                    Duke of York
                    Rooster

and so on...

I chose Maris Piper for the poll, it's such a lovely and versatile spud.
                    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Morning all,

Hope you've all had a cracking weekend. I've just been reading through your comments regarding the Potato Poll. We've gone for something a little non-topical this month as we simply wished to discover which varieties our forum members favour. You were our inspiration as not long ago, there was a thread discussing this very subject

We opted for a 'tick box' option as this way we can easily gather the statistics and produce an accurate set of results in the magazine. I assure you that all quotations taken will represent the variety of views expressed here.

Thank you shirlthegirl43 for posting a direct link, that's definitely a clearer way of showing where the poll is Sorry for my random arrows! The thread will be stickied until the end of May so that members can find the poll and leave comments about their chosen varieties if desired.

For those of you who wish to opt for varieties that aren't shown on our list - I would ask that you email them to me (emma.ward@aceville.co.uk) as soon as you can, so we can add them to the list. We will accept new varieties for the duration of the poll - so do get in touch!

If anyone has any further concerns or comments about the nature of the poll, feel free to get in touch directly at the email address above or via PM.

Thanks
                      Em
                      www.crafts-beautiful.com

Comment

I must seem to be a right old grump but I can't stop myself commenting negatively again!!

Of that long list of potatoes I can only remember eating 5 varieties. So I can only vote for my favourite of those five.

Therefore the result of your poll cannot claim "the forum's favourite potato is..." because there could be potatoes I have yet to taste that I would prefer to my stated choice.

To get a meaningful result you need to only list potatoes that all forum members are familiar with rather than varieties that only a few members have tasted.

I know it is only a bit of fun, and not meaningful research, but these polls do can get taken out of context (for instance the politician who said as a joke that Chicken Masala was Britain's favourite meal and was taken at face value by the newspapers who believed his joke had a factual background!!).
                        The proof of the growing is in the eating.
                        Leave Rotten Fruit.
                        Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
                        Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
                        Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Hello Teakdesk,

Thanks for getting in touch with your feedback. The results will show the more popular varieties as decided by those who voted. We would never attritube the results of the poll to the forum as a whole as there are over 30,000 members - and a number of them may not vote.

We have provided an extensive list of varieties so that there is sufficient choice for those who have sampled a wide selection. If you wish to add an another variety - do get in touch.

Should you wish to discuss this further, do drop me an email or PM

Thanks
                          Emma
                          www.crafts-beautiful.com

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has voted. I've seen some great suggestions so far! What do you find is most important when you're picking out seed potatoes? I usually like spuds with a good, creamy flavour. Do other grapes go for a well-known, tasty crop, or do you look for something new, that you haven't seen in the shops?
                            Last edited by Sara; 28-04-2010, 04:07 PM. Reason: Comma!
                            GYO magazine is on twitter and facebook! Visit us at www.twitter.com/GYOmag and www.facebook.com/growyourownmag

Comment

My absolute favourite potato is Desiree; I love waxy types for mash rather than the traditional floury sort which always seem 'grainy' to me. Unfortunately, my Desiree get hit by blight every year, so I never get a big yield. Last year I tried Sarpo Mira and Sarpo Axona to see if they'd be a good blight resistant alternative, but although they made fabulous chips and roasties, they weren't that brilliant for mash. So this year I'm trying Setanta, which are billed as being more blight resistant than the Sarpos, to see if they might be my perfect masher... Fingers crossed!

For salad potatoes, I like a firm waxy flesh, and a slightly nutty flavour. My favourites there are Anya and Harlequin, although disappointingly Harlequin have not been available this season. For a nice flavoured potato with a high yield, I go for Charlotte and Nicola.

Comment

I've finally found out what variety my spuds are - Pentland Javelin. So hopefully I've got some yummy potato salads ahead of me! Two have already sprouted which I'm very excited about

Anyways, I digress.

You all have until Monday lunch time to cast your votes - so if you've not already done so, make sure you tell us your favourite varieties!

Thanks
                                Emma
                                www.crafts-beautiful.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X