No announcement yet.

jerusalem Artichokes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered some JAs Fuseau back in January but have not received them yet, and after reading that a lot of you have already planted them I'm starting to panic... When is the latest you can plant them?

Comment

Thanks so much for looking that up for me Lesley Jay I still have some time then. phew..! I'll have to chase my suppliers though...

Comment

I've never bothered to earth them up - they don't need it like spuds do - with potatoes you need to keep out the light or they go green. I love artichokes. I checked whether they should be grown in a permanent bed (google) and they say the quality deteriorates over the years if you do this. I'm putting them in the same place this year for the 2nd year though, because I've got everywhere else sorted (not planted, just spoken for!) I've only just finished diogging them up - so the ones going back in are nice and fresh.
        I like them in soup but I love artichoke mash. Throw a few chopped up artichokes into a pan of boiling spuds when they've been cooking for 5 mins or so - the artichokes don't take as long to cook. Drain and mash as you normally would.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm a bit worried: on a whim I bought 5 JA tubers (?) from the garden centre. I haven't yet planted them, but am now worried a) that I won't like them (why did I buy something I'd never even tried before!?) and b) that they need a permanent site - hadn't realised this and was going to just put them across 'the patch' the same as I would pots or any other veg.
          Can someone please enlighten me on what they taste like and whether I could just plant them for a year then dig it all up.

Comment

Why don't you plant them in tubs Waffler?
            Must admit they aren't a favourite of mine, although we do grow a few each year.
            Flavour? ...hum...tricky to describe....earthy/nutty/sweetish/quite strong.
            One of the veg I tend to mash in with others or add small amounts to soup. Supposed to be good for you!
            I made some chips with them a few weeks ago and they turned the fat dark grey which was a bit off putting
            But don't let me put you off! You've got them and you may well really enjoy them!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

See now I'm worried!

Comment

You don't need a permanent site Waffler. Just make sure you dig up every bit or you'll get 'volunteers' like you do with spuds. They're gorgeous mashed in with spuds. Give 'em a go.
                Last edited by Flummery; 06-04-2007, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Do I plant them with my pots, as in, for crop rotation are they the same family as pots etc. or not?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about crop rotation plans...I use mine primarily as a windbreak, so they go around my south-west corner and sides
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have mine in the permanant planting bed, saves worrying about any volunteers - like that, better than strays - that are left in the ground.
                      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I asked an ex-allotmenteer at work about JAs. He said that the only problem he had was that it was impossible to get all the tubers up when harvesting so you end up with a permanent bed whether you want one or not.

I'm planting half a dozen because they started sprouting before I got round to cooking them. Good in mash, taste quite earthy.
                        You are a child of the universe,
                        no less than the trees and the stars;
                        you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Waffler View Post
                          Do I plant them with my pots, as in, for crop rotation are they the same family as pots etc. or not?
                          They are a member of the sunflower family and are usually planted as a permanent crop like for instance,rhubarb, raspberries or asparagus!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

In spite of the fact that I found out that you should move them around, I grow mine in the same place - for the same reason as other - for a windbreak (I think it was Bob Flowerdew who said JAs catch the wind for a whole summer and then let it out again in one go!) and becasue of the problem of resprouting from tidgy bits.

Comment

First leaves, yeah!

Went down to the lottie yesterday and noticed the first leaves on the JAs (planted 17 Feb). Went down this afternoon and more are coming through.

Comment

This sounds really nice,any chance you could post the recipe here,or to me by PM,or give me a refrence to where i can find it.I just love chokes in any form but the kids need other flavours to dilute them.
                                OOps forgot to say please..
                                Jane

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X