Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you growing that you know will probably end in disaster but you still do it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like some varieties of squash, I found out last yearI don't like tromboncinos,but I'llgrow one again because they look so lovely....

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
      Zazen,why do you sow it if you don't like it?
      I don't like 'normal' rocket; so this one says is it milder so I'm giving it a try.

Bleugh.

Comment

Do you like watercress and spinach Zazen? Try it mixed with those for a more peppery salad. With basil too. I also like rocket pesto - but adding pine nuts, olive oil and parmesan to anything would make it yummy!
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
          Do you like watercress and spinach Zazen? Try it mixed with those for a more peppery salad. With basil too. I also like rocket pesto - but adding pine nuts, olive oil and parmesan to anything would make it yummy!
          I do; but it's more for when we have family occasions. My SIL and Bro love rocket and always insist on growing it in their little patch. If I can grow this instead; then I can eat it at theirs to my heart's delight.

I pulled up a load last summer that had bolted, but they insisted on picking through it, washing it and serving it and I was 'OMG - that's only fit for the composter '

So, if I can find a mild one that doesn't taste like cat's ahem; everyone's a winner.

Comment

I agree Zazen - the only good rocket is very young rocket - and definitely not the stuff going to seed - that's the stuff you cook with!
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              what are you growing that you don't actually like? And why?
              i did it over winter....i grew Kale....pretty red and green Kale.....not sure i like it, havent actually tried it even!.

i did it because my goal is to self sufficient in vegetables, so i need to broaden my horizons a touch and i need more vege for the winter.....summer i live on salad and beans!. so i got some Kale, grew it....have even stroked the leaves & praised it for doing so well.....just havent had the guts to try it
              Finding Home

Comment

Oooo, I forgot about sprouts, I thought I had done really well this year, then I saw the guys down the roads sprouts.......
                About ten times better than mine, "Your sprouts look great" I say, what seed do you use.
                "Oh they're not that good this year" he replies....." no special seeds. Just Marshalls"

Have you ever felt useless at something?
                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Aubergines...I can never get them to adult hood, they always die on me and I really like cooking with them, so...I'm giving them another go, even my next door neighbours put some seed in for me, I'm sure between us we'll get 1 plant to grow...won't we ??

Comment

I grew mooli last year. Enjoyed the small amount I ate but I thought it was a winter veg like swedes so I left it in the ground. Baaaaaad move, the first frosts anhialated it.
                    Will grow again but will probably need to cloche for the winter!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      I grew mooli last year. Enjoyed the small amount I ate but I thought it was a winter veg like swedes so I left it in the ground. Baaaaaad move, the first frosts anhialated it.
                      Will grow again but will probably need to cloche for the winter!
                      That's annoying, I never got round to sowing it last year, but I was under the same impression as you, that you could leave it in the ground all winter.
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I dont really have room for growing things I dont like....I would *like* to grow some purple sprouting broc for next winter....so that'll probably end up as a disaster like the cabbages I grew!
                        Oh hang on, I do have a rhubarb plant, but cant stand it, OH loves it though. Its actually doing really well too.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                          Oooo, I forgot about sprouts, I thought I had done really well this year, then I saw the guys down the roads sprouts.......
                          About ten times better than mine, "Your sprouts look great" I say, what seed do you use.
                          "Oh they're not that good this year" he replies....." no special seeds. Just Marshalls"

Have you ever felt useless at something?
                          All the sprouts I grew blew (and I have hard clay soil )

The PSB and kale were left too late before I realised birds also liked them (and got decimated before they had a chance to grow)

I'm going to be better this year and plan to be a touch more self sufficient.

Also can't grow carrots. And got beetroot to germinate but none of them grew

Comment

Cabbages and sprouts !!!!!!!!!

I hated them at school but now I have the chance to grow my own I'm going to give them another chance,I'll probably grow the wrong cabbage at the wrong time, the sprouts will probably blow.The slugs and caterpillars will probably destroy half the crop and I'll probably still hate them

Comment

Judging by the last two years - everything I sow/plant is doomed to be drowned by Mother Nature
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

This will be my third year at trying melons in my greenhouse......oh and peppers. Grrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X