No announcement yet.

Filling Raised Beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No expert here but I think the problem with peat is it takes centuries to establish and while cutting it by hand for fires etc was ok, certain companies began to use these huge harvesting machines...bit like trawling for fish really...just raping natures bounty...not just a matter of leaving it to regenerate.

Anyhow coia is not as good and is imported; but then it benefits the less wealthy places that coconuts abound.

Comment

Originally posted by t4tom View Post
      Becki,

As I mentioned I am a bit of a newbie and certainly in the dark with regards to Peat Moss.

It was my understanding that after harvesting the wetlands are restored to a functional state and allowed to grow naturally?

I would certainly welcome your views on this matter.

Incidently, what is your position on Coco Peat?
      Hi tom, please don't think I'm being dicatorial on this (I'm not at all, honest )

There are lots of schools of thought about peat and the way it is harvested. My own opinion is that the Earth has taken millions of years to create peat and the delicate eco-systems that it supports. It cannot be regenerated at the speed we take it, and once an area of peat is 'harvested' it releases the carbon it had locked up within it, back into the atmosphere, therefore adding to the greenhouse effect.

I would rather use a peat free alternative (there are lots on the market, including peat free multi purpose mixes), and these often utilise green waste or shredded tree bark from timber production, which fits into my 'reduce, reuse, recycle' mantra.

I have never used coco peat myself, so can't comment on that I'm afraid.

I don't doubt other 'Grapes' will voice other opinions on this subject, that is what the Vine is all about after all. We all learn from each other

Comment

Thanks Becki,

I'm always interested to learn and have spent a small while reading about the environmental impact of harvesting peat moss this evening.

I haven't really come to a decision at this stage as there seems to be a lot of evidence for and against the matter; That said, I am certainly investigating the possibility of using Coco Coir instead of Peat Moss as this appears to be a financially viable and ecologically friendly peat substitute.

On another note, I am not too far away from Ashford Becki... Are you able to recommend any local garden centres or nurseries?

Thanks,

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by t4tom View Post
          On another note, I am not too far away from Ashford Becki... Are you able to recommend any local garden centres or nurseries?

Thanks,

Thomas
          Well, I like Stone Green Nurseries for flowers, shrubs and trees. They only have certain 'open days' (usually over Bank Holiday weekends), but they do super plants at reasonable prices. Victoriana Nursery is at Challock and they do a huge range of fruit and veg plants, its a nice family run concern, they do mail order, but also welcome visitors. Or of course there is Bybrook Barn Garden Centre in Kennington, which is more of a classic 'garden centre' with lots of add-ons, but I rarely come away empty handed .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X