Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Cazp and welcome to the vine!!
    Last edited by Jeanied; 09-05-2010, 07:58 AM.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      Not sure if I've done anything but try again.
      Opens in google doc for me.

I'd be interested to hear how you guys are getting on as I want to try this system out on my plot..
      Chris

My Allotment Journal @
      Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
      -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

• I'm doing it, and also growing in containers - I'll update that thread later today with my latest development (i.e. stuff being planted in it ).

Comment

• I've merged the SFG threads to keep them all in one place.

Comment

• Well. So far, so good. I'm already cropping mangetout peas, lettuce and spinach. Am waiting for french beans to germinate, other squares have PSB, kohl rabi, tomatoes, courgettes, (in flower and small fruit growing!) beetroot etc. It's very easy to maintain and water. I have 2 squares, and 2 rectangular beds. One has spuds and another has cababges, toms, edible flowers.....
            It isn't expensive to set up. You can make the frames from any old bits of wood. I use string and thumb tacks to mark out the squares.

Comment

• Mine is certainly looking good too. I am keeping PSB, cabbage and sprouts in a bed of their own as with potatoes too. Oh, and climbing beans as well, simply 'cos I grow so many!
              The SFG bed is 4' x 8' and I have broad beans, onions, garlic, spring onions, radish, beetroot, lettuce, carrots and strawberries and about 3 squares left to plant. I do have 2 cabbage in there too 'cos I had to find somewhere to plant them or chuck them out, and I couldn't do that

I certainly seem to have more growing than I would have had in a row system.

Comment

• Do you think that you could use the sqf method in the greenhouse? I'm hoping to have fixed beds in the greenhouse next year rather than the usual buckets and pots! Also thinking I would get a lot more in there....

I managed to make a few beds, but only got to fill the one, so the others are at normal level with a border to stop the dog going on

I'll be planning it better this year and will build and fill the beds before winter this time!

Can't wait to see some photos! Some of the links from here are brilliant, especially where you can click and drag

Comment

• Hope this thread keeps going as Im so interested to hear how everyone gets on this year... I am growing in containers now and will maybe set up for sfg beds next year....given the size of my garden two beds would be the most I would have... I do wonder if that is too few to make sfg worthwhile though? am I better off in containers I wonder?

Comment

• Originally posted by leah View Post
                    Do you think that you could use the sqf method in the greenhouse? I'm hoping to have fixed beds in the greenhouse next year rather than the usual buckets and pots! Also thinking I would get a lot more in there....

I managed to make a few beds, but only got to fill the one, so the others are at normal level with a border to stop the dog going on

I'll be planning it better this year and will build and fill the beds before winter this time!

Can't wait to see some photos! Some of the links from here are brilliant, especially where you can click and drag
                    If the bed is large enough, then yeah sure why not? I don't see any issue with it

I will take a pic of my sqft bed tomorrow - not all filled in yet, I've some leeks to go in there (if they're not dead!) and hoping to get some flowers in there too.

Comment

• OK, I will try and post a couple of photos of my SFG, so far. One at a rather odd angle
                      Woohoo, it worked
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Suky; 12-05-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Looks good Suky! Do I see courgettes in there? I thought the needed to be staggered coz they will easily outgrow a square? lol.

How many broad beans have you gone for in each ft? I am trying 4 per sq ft but not sure how they will do. So far so good tho.

I am new to sq ft this year too. I have setup 4 raised linkabord beds varying between 6ft and 10ft x 4ft wide. But filled with fruit/veg topsoil mostly rather than compost. They are only a quarter full currently but will stick some pics up at some stage if anyones interested?

Comment

• According to the book you could do 8 beans per square, but I would think it depends on type, bush or large that will need supports. I still think that some of the spacings in the book are optimistic especially as far as light is concerned. We don't have the same light levels that they have in many of the parts of USA where the system was developed.
                          History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

• My SFG book is written by a Frenchman and is probably a bit more realistic about light levels for Europe. He says 5 beans for 1 square.

Comment

• That sound much more realistic. Perhaps you could post a few more from that book?
                              History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

• Hi what is the french book called?
                                Would be interested in hearing more about the actual productivity of these beds in European climate.
                                Last edited by cazp; 15-05-2010, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X