No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry about my last post here! I've just realised i must have pressed post reply before realising I was on the wrong thread! Hope my veg aren't as bad!!!!!!!

Comment

• I built a grid to put vegetables in square feet today. Just another one to go and with my wood work skills its quite tiresome :P

Attached Files
      Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

• Why don't you use string and nails?

Comment

• tried it last year and the string broke, I wanted something a bit more permanent
          Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

• Hello, first time here. Got my square foot garden set up today, it's basically a large container really as I've elevated the 4 x 4 bed up,on 3ft legs. I recycled an old plastic trellis for the grid structure. It's a bit messy but should serve a purpose. Just got to fill the thing now.. I'm a bit worried that it still may be a bit early though. It will mostly be salad crops, beets, chard, beans etc.

I'll keep you all up to date with how I get on.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Excellent raised bed, BD! You have thought about drainage, haven't you?

Look forward to seeing it filled with crops! Depending on where you are, you can sow about now (all but the french beans), and pop a fleece blanket over if a frost is forecast in your area. Speaking of which, can you put your approx location in your profile - it helps us when giving advice.

Oh - and a warm welcome to the Vine.

Comment

• Hey bluedave......welcome to the vine......nice raised bed! Bad name though!!!!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

• Hi, thanks for the reply. Location should be showing now.

The underside of the bed is made from galvanised half inch wire mesh braced with a a 1x3 and 2 2x1's for additional support. If anything im concerned with too much drainage, theres only weed membrane keeping the growing medium from falling through! Keep your fingers crossed for me please. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Newton View Post
                    Bad name though!!!!
                    We all have our crosses to bear...

Comment

• I see there are a few books which deal with Sq ft gardening. Anyone recommend one

Comment

• if possible you want latest edition "All New Square Foot Gardening, Second Edition: The Revolutionary Way to Grow More In Less Space "
                        or the previous Edition "All New Square Foot Gardening "

Comment

• Anyone tried the SFG to great effect? New raised bed at home, which I thought I might try it on. I see potatoes are left out of the list of plants on BM's PDF - thanks for that - I assume because you can't earth up, but could I do it with PFA seed for example and just throw compost over them?
                          Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 07-05-2013, 11:56 AM.
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Last year, my SF bed was my most productive. I can only assume that spuds are left off the list not because of earthing up but because of harvesting, they could spread into the adjacent squares.
                            Last edited by Bigmallly; 07-05-2013, 12:05 PM.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Re the above ......

As potato tubers are planted deeper than the conventional 6in depth of a SFG box frame,the most efficient way to grow them is to make,or buy,one or more high rise boxes.Boxes measuring 1x1x1ft with drainage holes,work well for a crop of early potatoes
                              1 tuber per 1x1x1ft container
                              Taken from page 233 of Square Metre Gardening .. Mel Bartholomew

HTH
                              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• So I could then put one tuber into a one foot square area?
                                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X