Root trainers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
    Ah! :P So, is it just to get them settled in faster, or is that what you do with shallots?

Just noticed you're from Derby.. I'm from Allestree - albeit for my sins I've moved to Wales (got the short straw, wife is Welsh).
    I always start lots of mine off in modules or roottrainers if I can't get them in the ground - both shallots and onion sets - to get them started off and a good root system growing so that they get going quicker once in their final position.

I'm not from round here - my OH is from Spondon - I'm originally from Wales via Canada and then Kent......for my sins.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      and then Kent......for my sins.
      {stamps foot} whats wrong with Kent,after all its the garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
        {stamps foot} whats wrong with Kent,after all its the garden of England

Nooooooo - I love Kent - honest!!!

I just had rather a rough time there and needed to run away!!!

Comment

I've never seen them before either. How do they work?

Comment

I guess as they're much deeper than normal seed trays, etc - there must be a water mat at the bottom, or water source there - forcing the roots to burrow downwards?
            Last edited by chris; 15-02-2010, 06:57 AM.

Comment

They have ridges on the sides forcing the roots downwards. Simples!

Comment

They're really good but at some point soon somebody will post about them being an expensive con and you're better off using loo rolls. However, you can reuse many times and as Zazen says, they have these fancy ridge system which is meant to be good for the roots.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                  Ah! :P So, is it just to get them settled in faster, or is that what you do with shallots?

Just noticed you're from Derby.. I'm from Allestree - albeit for my sins I've moved to Wales (got the short straw, wife is Welsh).
                  what goes around comes around........
                  i'm from Bargoed north of caerphilly
                  and live in Mackworth
                  ps love my root trainer
                  this will be a battle from the heart
                  cymru am byth

Comment

They look fab. I confess I've never used them (but I DO collect kitchen/loo roll and gift wrap tubes from October onwards)

I'm happy to give them a go - anything that gives good results isn't a waste of money - but is the difference so great from using tubes? Maybe I'll just get some and do the test myself...
                    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
                      I'm happy to give them a go - anything that gives good results isn't a waste of money - but is the difference so great from using tubes? Maybe I'll just get some and do the test myself...
                      You can reuse them, open them up to check on root development, they're contained in a stable stand so can be carried around easily, they're plastic so don't go mouldy, they train the roots down the grooves and there is NO way we could collect enough loo rolls even if I collected all year round to satisfy the number of times I reuse the trainers every year

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Mine are in constant use all year round - if they haven't got beans and peas in they are filled with onion sets or shallots; I even started some potatoes from peelings and they grew mini salad potatoes in there.
                        Last edited by zazen999; 15-02-2010, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phil the shed View Post
                          what goes around comes around........
                          i'm from Bargoed north of caerphilly
                          and live in Mackworth
                          ps love my root trainer
                          heh mad..

my mrs works in Bargoed

Comment

Just bought some root trainers of ebay. seems like it's 50 cells (10 books x 5 cells) for £8. yay!

Comment

Went to bandq today and noticed they were selling the 5" version for £8

Comment

I got some at Harrogate show last year as there was a special offer on. Using them for sweet peas, peas, and have just put in some broad beans. I love them; they do seem to produce a better plant, some sweet peas sown in ordinary pots and given the same conditions haven't put on as much growth as those in the rootrainers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X