No announcement yet.

Sprouting seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got some puy lentils that are just about ready to eat.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by WrexTheDragon View Post
      I put it down to where you buy the seeds from in the first place..
      and of course be careful not to sprout seeds that may have been treated with a chemical (fungicide etc). Buy eating seeds, not sowing seeds if you're not sure
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        I've got some puy lentils that are just about ready to eat.
        I just bought some at Morrisons yesterday Bren. Got them for use as lentils. How long do they take to sprout and be ready?
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I love sprouted chick peas, really nutty flavour. Aduki beans are great too. Have had a go at sprouting most things over the years and I love them. I'm lucky enough to live i a part of leeds that has many asian supermarkets. The bags of dried pulses etc along with spices are much cheaper there. I also occassionally add sprouted pulses and seeds to bread for a differenttexture. Lovely.... Kids enjoy sprouting them too
          http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
            Just a word of warning... although seeds are easy to sprout there is a risk of mould.

Never had a problem with mould, but about a year ago I lost a batch of Alfalfa when a jell formed round each seed?? Only happened once and never found out why it did this. Not one seed germinated.

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
              I just bought some at Morrisons yesterday Bren. Got them for use as lentils. How long do they take to sprout and be ready?
              I started them Saturday so 3 days it depends sometimes they take longer, I love Puy lentils made a Cottage type pie with them the other week.

Comment

I have bought my first sprouter and just harvested my first lot of sprouts and am very pleased with the results.

I have heard that you have to be careful which sprouting seeds to buy to use - these were about £2 for enough for about 4 goes. Where is the best place to buy this sort of seed from? Also I read you grow garlic and other things I didn't know were possible. Which ones can I use?

I am sure this can be a very cheap way of producing nice fresh sprouts but how?

Thanks
                Lesley
                Slowly takes it!

Comment

Lesley - I tend to buy most of mine as dedicated 'sprouting seeds' from any garden centre I happen to be in, I believe that to be the best way to ensure (as is pointed out above) that you don't attempt to sprout chemically-treated sprouts.
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

I use Thompson & Morgan for my sprouting seeds, they have been selling them for at least 20 years.

Comment

Those are the ones that I mostly buy WTD - most GCs seem to sell them, never had a crop failure yet, nor have I been rained off, droughted off, or hit by pest/blight
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by WrexTheDragon View Post
                        I use Thompson & Morgan for my sprouting seeds, they have been selling them for at least 20 years.
                        I wouldn't have thought they would be viable after 20 years Wrex. Sorry.
                        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                        >
                        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                          I wouldn't have thought they would be viable after 20 years Wrex
                          aka
                          Suzie

Comment

The funny thing is that seeds used to be sold on a sale or return basis. The seeds returned at the end of the year was mixed with fresh seeds. I think it was about 15% ratio of old seeds to new. Don't know if they still do this?

So in theory you may find a few 20 year old ones in the pack. Very rare too get 100% germination unless you get commercial seeds that are guaranteed 100% fresh.

Comment

I buy my lentils and a few other bits from Julian Graves, if you look on their website it lists nearest stores.

Comment

Yaaay = first lot of lentils will be ready for tonight! Just tried a few and they taste very much like raw peas but not quite so sweet.

I've seen all the sprouting seeds in garden centres but they seem a bit expensive ( although more for your money than seeds for sowing) I'm going to try various pulses bought as foodstuff

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X