Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nes View Post
    Mum says french marigolds work.
    I thought so too, and planted lots of them in between my brassicas. I've still got whitefly overload
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I haven't been able to get to the plot as its entrance is down a side road and those are really dangerous round here, they look a bit like ice rinks. I'm hoping to pop down tomorrow to fill the bird feeders and check on things.
      Bex

Comment

My broad beans ('Aquadulce Claudia') were looking a bit battered after they emerged from the first lot of snow just before Christmas. They're now buried again, so I hope they're ok. My garlic looked ok, as did my remaining cabbages, but I might pull up the cabbages soon, and chop, blanch and freeze them.
        Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Went up to the allotment today - from the tracks I could see that only Ted (he goes up every day no matter the weather) and foxes had been there. It was rather magical with the heavy layer of snow.
          Checked the psb - looking good - can see the flowers starting to form, so will look forward to that - if the pigeons don't get into the netting.
          Went to the shed to get some more onions and another butternut squash and went home - too cold to do anything else.

Comment

I dug up four leeks today. Perfectly ok under a foot of snow and the ground was not frozen as the snow had insulated
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
              I might pull up the cabbages soon, and ... freeze them.
              Or you could leave them on the plot, frozen
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Or you could leave them on the plot, frozen
                Very true...
                Who needs a fridge/freezer atm? I might switch mine off to save lecky, and just chuck everything outside the back door!
                Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

I make Mr. G leave his oily/diesely work clothes outside - twas great fun the other day trying to 'break' them enough to get them in the washing machine!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
                    Very true...
                    Who needs a fridge/freezer atm? I might switch mine off to save lecky, and just chuck everything outside the back door!
                    I got some root veg at the shops, and I am storing it in my placcy greenhouse
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

It was really difficult to get the parsnips out of the frozen ground on Christmas Eve. I've been out to get some today from under 6 inches of snow and the ground is soft, so the snow must be, as Fi said, a really good insulator. My pointy cabbages are surviving, although they do look frozen and it all bodes well for the garlic. Can't see the onions!
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X