No announcement yet.

Newspaper Pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be making a stash of paper pots over the next week or two and sowing onions, shallots, caulflower and broad beans, a few experimental sowings of early leeks and lots of lettuce and spinach. And some peas in pots made from broad sheets.
    Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

You're a star, I was just in the process of ordering some new pots and I saw the thread.

Our local shop does not carry the FT so will look for another suitable paper. Would the Sun or Star be better as they seem to be already full of manure?
      http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk - A guide for moon planters

Comment

lol very good.
        Piper

Your future lays before you,
        Like a sheet of driven snow.
        Be careful how you tread it,
        As every step will show

Comment

Originally posted by crivens View Post
          You're a star, I was just in the process of ordering some new pots and I saw the thread.

Our local shop does not carry the FT so will look for another suitable paper. Would the Sun or Star be better as they seem to be already full of manure?
          Hello Crivens,and welcome. I reckon you've got the hang of it! Either would do I guess, but maybe the News of theWorld would be best??
          Last edited by madderbat; 23-01-2007, 11:42 AM.

Comment

A quicker way to make paper pots is to use a loo roll and wrap several thicknesses of folded newspaper round it to the last 3" then fold that piece inwards from the top half way along. The bottom can then be twisted or folded into the loo roll and the whole thing pulled out of the roll and you are ready to make the next one.

Not my idea - read it on another forum - but it works very well indeed.

Tricia

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
              Thanks WiZer, will definitely give it a go, but Mr M thinks he can get enough T-roll middles to do the trick - we have got family and half the street on the case!
              I've always found that toilet roll and kitchen roll inners go really mouldy, I think newspaper might be the answer as it won't hold as much water as cardboard does. Daughter No 1 is busy constructing pots as I type

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
                Hello Crivens,and welcome. I reckon you've got the hang of it! Either would do I guess, but maybe the News of theWorld would be best??
                I can think of a better use of these "quality" newspapers - my cat's litter tray! I use my daily local paper to make my pots, using my little pot making tool I bought last year. DDL
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

These are FAB wiZer... thank you SO much...

Comment

great idea will now be busy making these pots thanks

Comment

Fabulous - thanks so mch for re-posting this, i missed it the first time round!

Making good use of our free weekly rag that usually goes straight in the recycling bin! 5 down (pots that is - not newspapers )many, many more to go
                      There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                      Happy Gardening!

Comment

My husband had a couple nights making pots, says it's relaxing. He ended up making about three hundred. That should see us through this year....and the next.
                        Last edited by Piper; 29-01-2007, 01:37 PM.
                        Piper

Your future lays before you,
                        Like a sheet of driven snow.
                        Be careful how you tread it,
                        As every step will show

Comment

I must have missed this too, thanks Wizer. Got your pics saved to my desktop! We only get the Shetland Times once a week, so will have to go hunting for some more papers!
                          When you've got them planted do you stand them in deep trays? or do they stand up well in a low tray?
                          ~
                          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Just made my first one. Absolutely fantastic! I'm hooked
                            ~
                            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I've made loads of these pots already and got seeds growing in them too.

Can't wait until they ready to plant straight in the garden.

Marvelous
                              Stout hearts, strength and honour.

Comment

Made loads more tonight too, only had to stop coz I ran out of newspaper! I think they are fantastic. Can't wait to use them.
                                ~
                                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X