Supporting bush tomatoes - advice, please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supporting bush tomatoes - advice, please

I'll be growing more than 70 plants of a San Marzano bush for our winter supply of passata. Our first year with bush toms. Do you think that they would benefit from support and if so, what's a good way to provide it?

I've heard that they can bow down to the ground if not supported, but that they don't need staking like cordon tomatoes. Ideas so far include wire frames, stakes and string as for tall broadies, stout pea sticks, and straw mulch. What do you suggest?

Thank you
    Last edited by supersprout; 08-01-2007, 09:25 PM.
    SSx
    not every situation requires a big onion

Hi
    We grew bush toms in large pots which meant they pretty much supported each other. Towards the end of the season we just tied loosely around them!!
    This may not be the right way but it worked for us. Also meant we could grow them on the patio which allowed for immediate consumption. Actually thought they were quite attractive on the patio!!!

Comment

Hello SS .Good question. Last year I had lots of bush tomatoes (seeds free fromt the mag) and they looked as if they would need supporting. I put in a wire frame to support them and this worked well until it came to picking fruit when there were clusters all through and under the frame. Bit of a job. I think the truth is at the end of the day they didn't really need anything. I would let them suppoert each other and put a few sticks in where necessary.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

How about bushie twigs/sticks? The tomatoes would grow up through them, plus they're free. You could use last years tree/bush trimmings or go for a walk in the park and pick some up (if you've got one you could take the dog and then you wouldn't feel weird walking home with half a tree )

Comment

Have used a single pole with ties as necessary in the past and had no problems but I do tend to grow them in a quite sheltered part of the garden.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I have some good hazel pea sticks, quite stout and bushy - a few of those, do you think? It's good to hear about the wire caging and potential drawbacks with harvesting - I want to keep it as simple as possible, but don't want muddy tomatoes
            SSx

Comment

last year when i grew them in pots on the patio, just loosely wrapped some string round them when they were heavy with fruit and it worked fine
              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I only grow bush tomatoes outdoors and have never staked them.
                However after a bumper crop this year, I did find the weight of the fruit caused some of the trusses to reach the floor ( slug heaven!!! )
                So this year I may just fasten some string at about 12" to some canes passing near the bushes.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi supersprout, i have been growing toms for several years now both bush and others. Last year was the first time i grew San Marsano. Iin spite of staking them up like the other varieties it just did'nt work. The toms on the San Marsano were very plentiful and very heavy. In spite of my best efforts they ended up bending under the weight. I would strongly advise you to stake them up really well.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thank you again for these answers, I think I might try some left alone to sprawl, and some well supported.

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                    The toms on the San Marsano were very plentiful and very heavy. In spite of my best efforts they ended up bending under the weight. I would strongly advise you to stake them up really well.
                    Oh, I hope I have that problem next year bramble!
                    SSx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X