Leek Problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onionbagger View Post
    Thanks for the tip Twosheds, I was sceptical but it actually works, many thanks.
    thank for that tip with leeks.I too was sceptical but tried a few,within two days Isaw growth.Been doing a few every two/three days,they grow so quick. If I get same problem next year this is what I'll do,cheaper than using other stuff.
    Thanks again,2sheds

Comment

Wish I had joined you guys earlier

My leeks were wrecked by the leek moth, no one on my site had ever seen it before so I pulled them all up and compo-ed them

Sara
      http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Had problems with leek moth last year as well, I didn't bother cutting them off or pulling them all, nor have I this year. Most have them have already recovered somewhat and the few I've used seem to no longer contain any caterpillars... However, I shall be expecting further losses as unfortunately the problem doesn't appear to come so much from the moth damage itself but the fact that the plants are then subsequently more susceptible to other diseases....particularly white rot and rust. (not sure whether cutting them off will help this)

Tamar Organics sell Enviromesh at a reasonable price. I shall be investing for next season.

Comment

Awesome tip Two Sheds, will definitely be cutting my leeks next time around

Been sorting out the leek rust, by pulling nasty leaves off the thinning out, also gave them a application of a feed high in potassium. Have not had any wee beasties eating them yet.

I have also learnt that Dithane can stop the spread of rust too? Any experience on that one guys?
          Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardo82 View Post
            ...........................I have also learnt that Dithane can stop the spread of rust too? Any experience on that one guys?
            Do you really want to be eating Dithane though?

To stop it spreading you can use Petroleum jelly rubbed over rusted areas to contain it. You won't be eating these areas so won't get petroleum jelly poisoning
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yes you can stop leek rust with petroleum jelly but I don't bother as the rust only affects the dark green leaves which I don't usually use. Planting leeks a bit further apart will also help with rust.
              Raisedbed the worst thing you can do is Rotavate marestail as you will get twice as much, and don't compost it either. You just have to learn to live with it and keep it under as much control as possible.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X