No announcement yet.

Any one know about achocha?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew some with a degree of success last year, but never really did anything with the fruits, and didn't seem to let any mature enough to set seed. I made the mistake of not giving it enough room too and it just looked forlorn and unloved.

Was given some seeds by a fellow grape, but didn't manage to sow them (hangs head in shame). I'm hoping to grow them next year though and will hopefully grow them as a hedge along my plot fence to give me a bit of wind shelter.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

How much raised bed room do they need d'you reckon? Just invested in the Fat Baby Achoka (along with some Melothrie seeds and West Indian Gherkin) and figured they could climb all over the fence next to the raised bed with luck! Want to give them lots of room to be healthy, but not dedicate the whole bed to the stuff incase I hate em!

Comment

Someone kindly sent me some of these but I had no luck in getting them to germinate. Is there a trick? I quite fancy trying them again

Comment

I have some seeds from the Heritage Seed Library which I picked up at a take-what-you-want-for-a-donation stall last summer. Not tried them yet and no idea what type they are but will find out next year and then decide if I want to grow them again or not!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I grow them for a talking point! I also chuck them into everything - stews, sauces, the lot. They taste of nowt but that's better than tasting awful! Think of the Vit C.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              Are you sure you aren't growing exploding cucumber instead? I think there are 3 types of achocha sold by Real Seeds - one is an exploding one. Not sure which mine is but it doesn't go off with a bang!
              I don't know. My seeds came from the pass the parcel seed swap.
              Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

If you want to try one that DOESN'T explode, pm your address and I'll send you a few of mine. However, if you've decided you can't be bothered with the world's most flavourless veg, I shan't be offended!

Comment

You're not really encouraging me to bother growing the seeds I have next year...............

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

If you want to try one that DOESN'T explode, pm your address and I'll send you a few of mine. However, if you've decided you can't be bothered with the world's most flavourless veg, I shan't be offended!

But does it take on the flavour of whatever it's cooked with flum?

Comment

Thanks for the offer, I'm glad you aren't offended by my polite refusal.
                      BTW, I haven't forgotten about the best Tomato. When I have seeds, you'll be in receipt of a pm.
                      Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHillGardener View Post
                        Someone kindly sent me some of these but I had no luck in getting them to germinate. Is there a trick? I quite fancy trying them again
                        They are normally easy, windowsill job in mid spring or outside early summer. I think I just lightly cover mine with compost. They also self seed readily and spring up all over!

I would agree they are not the most flavour filled veg, but can still be useful. I enjoy growing them as they are so easy and look so different. If you need more seeds send a pm, I've got a couple of types.
                        Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I like them. They are just bland. I bung them in all sorts (except puddings. Now there's a thought!)

Comment

Thanks for the offer poly, but FrostyFreckle is sending me some. Fingers crossed I germinate themthis time

Originally posted by poly View Post
                            They are normally easy, windowsill job in mid spring or outside early summer. I think I just lightly cover mine with compost. They also self seed readily and spring up all over!

I would agree they are not the most flavour filled veg, but can still be useful. I enjoy growing them as they are so easy and look so different. If you need more seeds send a pm, I've got a couple of types.

Comment

If we are successful growing hem next year, perhaps we should try and build up a range of culinary delights in which to showcase it? Perhaps not the exploding ones, exploding preserves might not be a good option!
                              Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone, look forward to growing it!
                              Donna
                              http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

I grew them last year. I found them slow to fruit ( the plant was 4/5 ft high before the first fruit appeared but after that there were hundreds). I also made the mistake of growing one in the greenhouse and it took over. Didn't find much use for it so haven't bothered with it this year. Mine didn't explode at all.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X