Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I plant my onion,shallots and garlic yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got 50 senshus in the ground, 50 each radars and shakespeakes in a seed tray, and about another 100 waiting for spare space, with about 50 of my trial home made ones which will overwinter in the greenhouse and go out in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      I have three different types of japanese onions which I have started clump planting, little and often as land becomes available.
      I also have senshyu seedlings which will be planted as soon as they start to become potbound!
      i also have senshyu seedlings, i thought they went out in early spring
      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

does garlic go straight in the ground or should i put it in modules till later?

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
          i also have senshyu seedlings, i thought they went out in early spring
          Mine don't! If the Senshyu sets are for autumn planting I see no reason why the Senshyu onions rasied from seed shouldn't be planted in the autumn?
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
            You can do either - I start mine off in modules just to get the roots going a little and then plant out into the ground around early November
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
              Whereas mine go straight in the ground.
              I see logic in Piskies way, but mine have worked every year straight in the deck so will continue. Just have to watch the pesky birds pulling them out.
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I've done both ways Bobs, not really convinced I have seen any difference - I guess it's a bit like ironing tea-towels, you either do or don't, but either way they dry the dishes
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

will never look at a tea towel without smiling in future! Thanks for this.

In the end I did half and half as was in the garden yesterday. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference next year.

Comment

I just shove my garlic straight in mid October.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have started some off in modules [in august] so that I have plenty of 'wet' garlic earlier in the year. I've got plenty spare to shove some in over a longer period so that I've got enough for proper dry garlic and loads for earlier eating before it is properly mature.

As long as it goes in by Mid December, you should be ok.

Comment

I have tried both module and direct planting with garlic and direct planting works far better for me. I have found that if I use MPC in modules the garlic tends to start rotting when it is just about ready for harvesting. Will be planting mine Oct Nov time.
                        Have 200 onion sets in and they have started shooting. Have another 300 to go in but am holding back with them till Oct time.
                        Shallots will go in on the shortest day.

Ian

Comment

I;ve got japanese onions and red onion sets, can they both go in this autumn/winter?

This is the first time i;ve ever really planted anything to overwinter. Now I have raised beds it's so much easier to turn around teh growing space, no digging
                          :0)

Comment

Originally posted by hamsterqueen View Post
                            I;ve got japanese onions and red onion sets, can they both go in this autumn/winter?
                            yep sure can
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                              I've done both ways Bobs, not really convinced I have seen any difference - I guess it's a bit like ironing tea-towels, you either do or don't, but either way they dry the dishes
                              Nice analogy, Pisk - right up there with the Di's cauliflower one.

Comment

Originally posted by hamsterqueen View Post

This is the first time i;ve ever really planted anything to overwinter. Now I have raised beds it's so much easier to turn around teh growing space, no digging
                                :0)
                                Assuming that the red onion sets are overwintering type then fine.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X