No announcement yet.

Tomatoes turning

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got back from a 3 day camping trip yesterday and I've got one ripe tomato from the plants on my kitchen window. but it looks like my outside toms have blight so I'll have to read up on the forum to check what to do.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Been eating the Gardeners' Delight and Garden Pearl from the conservatory since beginning of July. Yesterday the first tomato on the Golden Cherry turned orange and today another has joined it, but little movement on the Shirley and Big Boy fruits yet. All these are in the greenhouse. Too much wind here and no sheltered spots to grow outdoors.

Comment

ive lost 8 of my tomato plants to blight, only 2 left (fingers crossed). my first year growing tomatoes from seed and im gutted!
        http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

I'd got my toms growing in 2 different parts of the garden and it looks like only one lot was affected, anyway they were binned this morning so fingers crossed that the others are OK.
          Sorry to hear about yours Crazil
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have some nice bright red ones in the greenhouse with some green ones following. Not an awful amount but enough!
            All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
            For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Picked my first today. More on the way but I only have 5 plants so I am happy with the results so far. From reading the above looks like I am lucky not to have any blight.

Comment

woooo! first has started to turn. Very excited. Its a patio one rather than an allotment - they all got blight. Still very excited, have spotted some comedy tomatoes too!
                Last edited by Lavenderblue; 12-08-2009, 07:40 PM.
                We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Arrived home after a 4 day break and was welcomed by nearly 2 pounds of red toms. Most were the cherry type and just 3 of the larger gardeners delight. But very pleased so far with many more to come. I hope everyone else gets to enjoy their toms, I would be devastated if they went to blight after doing so well for so long.
                  BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                  Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

had my first 2 red tomatoes on Tuesday and lovley they were too!

Comment

picked my first ripe green zebra. The top went yellow from light green with green stripes. It was soft to touch so I picked it and it was perfect what a great flavour , what a real tomato should taste like... waiting patiently for the rest of them to turn yellow now !!

I have been out checking everything this afternoon but only the sungolds and a few mixed are ripening... can't stop the sungolds have 2 big bowls of them now!

Comment

We have one cherry tomato almost ready, in the greenhouse but plenty of tomatoes outside which are finally starting to turn.

Have to say that the Ailsa Craigs are much, much bigger than I thought they'd be.

Was also given 'Pineapple' flavoured tom plants by a neighbour which are also turning. Have no idea what they look like as neighbour inadvertently 'sprinkled' the seed packet which was then disposed of and now can't remember the name, colour or size but they look like they're going to be medium sized yellow!

Regards
                        Reet
                        x

Comment

Originally posted by murphy99 View Post
                          picked my first ripe green zebra. The top went yellow from light green with green stripes. It was soft to touch so I picked it and it was perfect what a great flavour , what a real tomato should taste like... waiting patiently for the rest of them to turn yellow now !!
                          Thanks Murphy, I was wondering when my green zebras would be ready.

I've got Tigerellas, Beam's Yellow Pears and Vanessa all turning.
                          Attached Files
                          RtB x

Comment

Purple Ukraine - still green
                            Rose de Beune - still Green
                            Roma - Green as green can be

But they will all be very pretty when ripe!

I did get all excited thinking some of the Purple Ukraine were turning - but it was Blossom End Rot!
                            Nell

Comment

Originally posted by murphy99 View Post

I have been out checking everything this afternoon but only the sungolds and a few mixed are ripening... can't stop the sungolds have 2 big bowls of them now!
                              Try the GZ grilled - it's fabulous!
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flummery , will try that if I ever get more than one to ripen
                                We were so excited with the one we had we halfed it and ate it straight from the plant

I picked a yellow pear today but haven't tried it yet , waiting for OH to get home from work and we can half that one too... again lots of green ones

Cheers
                                Helen

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X