Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tasted my tomatoes this week what a shocker !

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supermarket ones taste of water. Nice if you like water!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

this is good to know for next year, as we only grow small cherry toms (currently 3 varieties) but whilst on holiday in morocco i had big beef toms with a lot more flavour than those available here, the weather must help but this shows home grow can be a lot nicer than any supermarket toms would be good to try and grow some

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
        7 varieties here! Only ones we've eaten so far have been the 100's and 1000's although others are now getting close. They may be small but it's like a taste explosion. Loving it!
        I agree Incy, 100's & 1,000's are a great success, will definately be growing them again. They live up to their name in quantity and the flavour is superb.
        "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
          i bought a green variety - only one plant from my local market - can someone tell me how i know when its ripe?
          Some green when ripe varieties like eg. Grub's Mystery Green, actually get a yellow 'sheen' to the skin when approaching ripeness. The best way I find is the gentle squeeze test when you think they're getting close.
          I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

I've grown Black Krim for mt beefsteak this year and am very impressed at how early it is. The Gardeners dellight bneat it to a few ripe fruit but the BK long overtook it in term s of crop weight ... The San Marzano and Alicante have plenty of fruit but none ripe yet.....

BK is rather easy to let over-ripen.... pick when it stops being green and goes dusky... if it's red it's getting soft.....

chrisc

Comment

I grew 5 varieties of cherry tomatoes and ran a taste testing at work for an independent view.
              The results are:

1. Sungold
              2. Hundreds and Thousands
              3. Black Cherry
              4. Pearl
              5. Balconi (Yellow)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...