Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tasted my tomatoes this week what a shocker !

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variety or two........ I've got 6
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
      Variety or two........ I've got 6
      Stop it!!!

I've only got 'Million' and 'Tumbling Tom Red' this year but I've seen at least another dozen I'd like to try!

Hopefully I'll have the green house going by next year though so I could just accept it will be brimming with nothing but tomatoes (despite OH not even liking them!)
      http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

7 varieties here! Only ones we've eaten so far have been the 100's and 1000's although others are now getting close. They may be small but it's like a taste explosion. Loving it!

Comment

I think I've got 11 - plus 2 home-bred types. Mind you, there are people in here with DOZENS!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Erm, I lost count of the varieties at about 20.....

Comment

32 Golden Boys
              15 Yellow Perfection
              21 Striped Stuffers
              5 Tomazings
              18 Garden Pearls
              38 Marmandes Super

Me thinks enough......
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Nice to your misses knows what proper food trastes like

It was the rubbish quality a couple of years ago of toms that finally made me grow my own,i cant wait for next year when the allotment if fully planted

Comment

Didn't realise that it would end in a boasting contest!
                  I have 23 varieties this year. Mostly for the seed, early and ultra early types. Lots of cherries.
                  Decided that I will only grow 'specials' next year the 'run-of-the-mill' are so cheap here, about 35/40 pence a kilo.
                  I have Flum Gold fruiting! Can hardly wait for them to ripen!

Comment

I've grown Legend for the first time and can't get over the size of the monsters, practically one slice per sandwich!

Also tried Sungold this year and am bowled over by the sweetness. A small handful managed to escape unmolested from the greenhouse and were declared 'wow' by my tomato hating teenager! On the yummy scale they're going to be stiff competition for the yellow Millefleur I grow every year. I would highly recommend these to anybody who likes cherry tomatoes - small sweet cherry (but nowhere near grape size) and hundreds of them in sprays.

Also tried San marzano for the first time. I used Huge FW's recipe roasting them with salt, pepper, sugar and diced garlic on top before pulping through a sieve. Most of the sauce went into me rather the freezer.....

Comment

Flum Gold, thought that you'd like to see it!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well I don't have ANY!

They make me ill and my son and daughter are neither of them very keen. (They were given the option - homegrown ones too - but never took to them!)

Comment

I have about 10 varieties this year. Currently ripe are Legend, Ferline, Moneymaker, Sungold and Mexico Midget.
                          Will not grow Legend again as the crop is poor even though the flavour is good. Will also not grow Moneymaker as it tastes bland in comparison to some of the other varieties.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have loads of varieties and I tasted a few 'Long sausage' that had went red......bladdy orrible they were, thick skinned and tasteless
                            *Bit like me really*
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i bought a green variety - only one plant from my local market - can someone tell me how i know when its ripe?
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Today I got my first 2 ripe cherry toms and they tasted amazing! This is my first year growing veg and I cannot beleif the difference in taste from the supermarket ones. Lots of people had told me they would taste better but I didn't imagine they would be this good!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X