No announcement yet.

anyone eaten any main crop spuds yet

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grew Valor last year and didn't lift them till pretty late in September. Great spuds, wonderful keepers. (Didn't put in any mains this year, no room, just Nicola second earlies)
    Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Huge problem with scab on mine, all of them! Also a lot of slug damage. Disappointing really. I dug some up early and they were small but great. Wish I'd taken more up early.

Comment

I,ve just dug a bucketful of baby King Teddies (and I mean baby....!). All I will get, since blight hit the bed and decimated it in 48 hours.....

Does anyone know if use King Edwards like new pots?

TIA

Alan
        New to all this - here to learn

Comment

Originally posted by Hooky View Post
          I,ve just dug a bucketful of baby King Teddies (and I mean baby....!). All I will get, since blight hit the bed and decimated it in 48 hours.....

Does anyone know if use King Edwards like new pots?

TIA

Alan

i had some charlotte potatoes chitting on a spare bedroom window sill which i'd forgotten about (sprouts were fine - held at about an inch long) so i whipped them in a spare bit of the front garden. dug half of them up a few days ago as leaves were starting to go black... the tubers (dug up 2 carrier bag fulls off 6 plants - is this good?) had lots of little white spots on (almost like a teenager's whiteheads?!?!) is this blight or scab? but when i scrubbed them, they looked fine and had about a pound of them last night as wedges and they were yummy...

oddly, when i dug up the charlottes that i hadn't forgotten about and planted at the right time, they were really small and not as high a yield...

not dug up my king eddies yet... need to do that this weekend

any advice appreciated

Comment

Dug up one plant of rooster - yield was 2.5 kilos! Mixed sizes. Quite a few had slug holes so am going to dig up the rest at the w/e. Ate some last night as wedges - very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
              ever tried Pink Fir Apple-small spuds as well but the foliage on both is up to my waist and I'm not a short *rse
              How long late mains should be in the ground?Mine were planted mid-May which was about 12 weeks ago.
              I did Pink Fir Apple in containers last year, and was still digging them out after Christmas! Some had rotted at one end, but the rest of the potato was fine...
              Missed them this year - tried Anya instead but very low yield...
              Still eating Int Kidney earlies, so the Skerry maincrop are staying in the bed...

Comment

Lifted my Desiree last week - 7lb from 5 seed spuds - and they are wonderful. No scab, although the Picasso and Romano both had it, all perfect and storable and absolutely delicious. (Well, I had to try at least one!)

Comment

I've grown 1st and 2nd earlies and maincrops in potato bags. 1st earlies gave me about 25 lbs from 4 bags, 2nd earlies I had 36 lbs from 4 bags and have had 2 bags of maincrop so far, with 9 lbs in each. I'm really pleased with them and thinking of buying more bags next year as a lot of this year's have gone to my children and their families!
                  Last edited by craftygirl24; 21-08-2009, 11:23 PM. Reason: Put some text in wrong place

Comment

Originally posted by craftygirl24 View Post
                    I've grown 1st and 2nd earlies and maincrops in potato bags. 1st earlies gave me about 25 lbs from 4 bags, 2nd earlies I had 36 lbs from 4 bags and have had 2 bags of maincrop so far, with 9 lbs in each. I'm really pleased with them and thinking of buying more bags next year as a lot of this year's have gone to my children and their families!
                    Which varieties did you grow, CG, and what did you think of the flavour?

Comment

We had our first Desiree yesterday, I really love that potato, makes such beautiful mash
                      The plants were struck early with Target Spot (early blight) and then I had to cut the haulms down altogether due to Late Blight; the soil they were in wasn't great; and the tops didn't get very big. But, despite that, still managed to get a couple of large potatoes, and 2 or 3 smaller ones per plant. There was a bit of slug damage too (which I've never had on Desiree before), but I'll still definitely grow them next year

Comment

I and most of our allotmenteers have been growing Charlotte Potatoes for years and have never had a problem with either growing or cooking. I have yet found a salad potato to come near to Charlotte.

Comment

Anna I can't remember what the 1st and 2nd earlies were, but the maincrop are Cara and they're lovely. The 1st earlies were OK but the 2nd earlies were better - Cara the best! I'll keep better notes next year.

Comment

I furtled for a couple of Druids today ... massive spuds, had one baked. Watered, fed & mulched the plants because they are still full of leaf (all my others died back last week).

Much, much better than King Edwards.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Started my Nicola - tho some here seem to think they are 2nd earlies I thought they were main crop - but whatever - they're delicious, lovely yellowish colour and perfect in every way. The best so far!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X