No announcement yet.

anyone eaten any main crop spuds yet

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lifted one root of Pink Fir Apple on Sunday - FIL coming to lunch - even OH noticed and said "These spuds are tasty"! I might leave them a week or two longer though - still got some Anya to finish. Bit disappointed with those - don't think I'll bother with then next year.

Comment

Still eating the last of the earlies (Ulster Classic) which have been really good. Bit disappointed by second earlies (Charlotte) as they've seemed to fall apart a bit in the pan. Don't think I'll grow again. PFA, Ryecroft Purple and Valor still quite a bit of foilage although it is starting to die back but the Romano had fully died down so dug them up at the weekend. Storing for now but am going to cook up a few damaged ones tonight to see how they are. Was surprised that they were ready so soon as it's a couple of weeks earlier than expected but the spuds were a decent size so no need to worry.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Haven't made a start on my mains yet. I'm not sure if they got blighted or not.

I plented Pentland Javelin, Sante & Kestrel I think.

I really should find out which ones are which...

All the plants are dead now - no foliage left at all.
        Last edited by HeyWayne; 11-08-2009, 11:59 AM.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Dug up some Pink Fir (late maincrop) today, and they are fully grown and bee-oot-if-ull

My absolutely favourite spud, bar none
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Started digging up my King Eddies today, first 2 plants had not 1 intact potato, all nibbled by something ? mice. Next 2 plants got a lovely big crop.
            Will dig some more later in the week, too hot today.
            Last edited by lainey lou; 11-08-2009, 03:20 PM.
            Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Started eating Kestrels over a month ago and have eaten my first desirees in the past week. I have sooooo many spuds to get through!!!

Comment

I had some Desiree couple of weeks ago and they were still smallish-about golfsize ball.Tasted very nice-first ever home grown tatties.Never tried Pink Fir Apple-small spuds as well but the foliage on both is up to my waist and I'm not a short *rse
                How long late mains should be in the ground?Mine were planted mid-May which was about 12 weeks ago.

To be fair,I dug up some volunteers growing in strawberry's patch-enough taters for a few dinners for us but haven't got a clue what they were
                Last edited by coreopsis; 11-08-2009, 03:55 PM.

Comment

My Desiree will be getting dug up in a week or so, but the Sarpo Mira are still flowering! So I think they'll be a few weeks yet..

Comment

Topped all my tatties today - except for the Rooster maincrop.
                    Still got tons (literally) of earlies and second earliesto get through - Foremost, Duke of York and Charlotte - though will probably take some Rooster to this Saturdays Farmers Market.
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I dug up one plant of Desiree last week, don't know weights or anything but got a full carrier bag. Taste gorgeous and they were massive, my highlight of the gardening year so frar. W that impressed I will go the whole hog with them next year.

Comment

Dug half a row of Maris Piper today nice clean spuds just an odd slug hole medium sized crop but did have a 2lb and half ounce one.

Comment

Emptied one of my bags of King Edwards yesterday. Taties were a bit small for a maincrop, and not a huge quantity either, but I suspect that is something to do with my lapsidaisicle watering regime!!! They still tasted scrummy, I just scrubbed the skins clean, boiled for 20 mins, drained and tossed in 'dairy free' spread! Yum!!

Comment

Mimi first earlies were wonderful - will definitely grow again. Desiree are a brilliant maincrop and stored well last year but I haven't started digging them up yet - was planning to wait till september. Try also Ratte (early main/maincrop) which are a bit like Pink Fir Apple but i think even nicer as the texture is beautifully firm and waxy. I have tried Valor (late maincrop) for the first time this year but haven't dug yet - has anyone tried these?

I would love to hear any more advice about which are good maincrop to store for a long time.

Comment

My Valor aren't ready yet although are dying down so no idea what that crop is like yet.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Anyone fancy adding to this post ??

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...vey_37259.html
                                The proof of the growing is in the eating.
                                Leave Rotten Fruit.
                                Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
                                Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
                                Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X