No announcement yet.

Do my Brussels look right?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your sprouts look as if they are doing OK VJ.
    They might look a bit soft - are they standing in really hot sunshine - if so you could move the pots to a cooler corner.
    The cabbage bits on the top can be cut and used as cabbages. They're ready now.
    It's up to you if you move them to bigger pots - or just feed and water more often.
    Whichever way I think you will get a reasonable crop from them.
    I never buy in any brassicas from plants - I always grow from seed - saves the risk of importing club root.
    Good luck, I think they will do quite well.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice, I was a little concerned when they started to discolour and was thinking of adding some lime to the soil when I read about club root.

Maybe the discolouration of the leaves is normal?

Comment

Sorry, does club root result in purplish plants then? I looked it up and found this:
        The first sign is a wilting of plants, especially in dry weather. The plants fail to develop well and often fail to develop a crop. Examining the roots you will notice swellings and roots that look knobbly, like advanced arthritis which is where the old colloquial name of 'fingers and toes' comes from.

I have no idea where in the world you are, so can't really comment; I'd be growing these outdoors though through the summer and in a greenhouse during the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          I'd be growing these outdoors though through the summer and in a greenhouse during the winter.
          I read that a good frost helps harden (tighten) the sprouts.

Comment

Vjay - where are you?????

Comment

I'm in N.Ireland. Weather's hasn't been all that great, 2 warm weeks at the beginning of July, otherwise it's not that warm. Plants are getting a good watering and plenty of sunlight all day.

Comment

there's a purplish tinge to the sprouts in one of your earlier pictures.
                There is a purple sprout variety, maybe you've got a cross?

Comment

I accidental found the problem to the purpling of the leaves. They would turn purple then turn yellow and die off. I noticed one morning that one of the pots at the back was overflowing with water, I forgot to add drainage holes to that pot, LOL. It was the worst effected plant, so I moved all the plants under perspex and they're starting to green up again. The waterlogged plant eventually died, but its a mistake we all could learn from.

Maybe other plants which leaves turn colour, yellow and die off (especially from the bottom of the plant) is a sign there's too much water and not enough drainage.

Comment

you have to "heel" them in by compressing the soil around it, if its loose soil, the sprouts grow like cabbages, and not really tight like sprouts should be.. i am growing some in the garden in the ground,,,,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X