No announcement yet.

Carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Scotti, I seem to remember Anne grew hers under fleece all year to keep the carrot fly off & I think she grew some in a raised bed so that would have helped too. I gave up on mine this year, I was trying to grow some in pots but every time they came up they kept getting eaten straight away & I got disheartened!
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
      Hi Scotti, I seem to remember Anne grew hers under fleece all year to keep the carrot fly off & I think she grew some in a raised bed so that would have helped too. I gave up on mine this year, I was trying to grow some in pots but every time they came up they kept getting eaten straight away & I got disheartened!
      Same here SueA, If there was a variety named 'Dour' I think I've just grown/not grown them!

I even grew some under fleece and they were still attacked by carrot fly.

I am a man on a mission this coming season tho and am determined to grow decent carrots!!

This year I grew Nantes,Paris Market and Autumn King 2.All that survived the carrot fly succumbed to splitting because of the drought! Won't be growing Paris Market this coming year as they were a waste of time, but will probably stick with Nantes and Autumn King 2.
      Devoting my leek trench to my carrots and going to splash out on some enviromesh to cover them, and swellgel to make sure they aren't deprived of water!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sow carrots in buckets with an onion or two.Don't pull the onion until finished pulling the carrots!A bulb of garlic seems to work as well.Lovely carrots and no sign of carrot fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Same here SueA, If there was a variety named 'Dour' I think I've just grown/not grown them!

I even grew some under fleece and they were still attacked by carrot fly.

I am a man on a mission this coming season tho and am determined to grow decent carrots!!

This year I grew Nantes,Paris Market and Autumn King 2.All that survived the carrot fly succumbed to splitting because of the drought! Won't be growing Paris Market this coming year as they were a waste of time, but will probably stick with Nantes and Autumn King 2.
          Devoting my leek trench to my carrots and going to splash out on some enviromesh to cover them, and swellgel to make sure they aren't deprived of water!
          You didnt ge the carrots of the same chap as the sweet peas did you
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
            You didnt ge the carrots of the same chap as the sweet peas did you
            Carrots are gone (well just about...... managed to save a few!) Sweet Peas are now 10'-0" high, still no flowers! but who knows, if I can mollycuddle them through the winter ??????...............
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I was having a conversation with my sister re:carrot fly (long gone are the conversations about boys/lippy & who's snogging who at the weekends disco! ) and she told me that her employer grows carrots in tubs and puts the tubs on a raised surface - probably about waist height or higher and he has no probs with carrot fly as they are unable to fly upto that height - is this true or a myth?
              How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Nope it's true. Carrot fly is like me ... it suffers from Vertigo & is dashingly handsome .... Well the Vertigo bits right.

They aren't supposed to fly much above a couple of feet high so thats why physical barriers are supposed to work. I usually grow a tub or two of carrots & so does my friend & we have never had fly damage.
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                  Nope it's true. Carrot fly is like me.....
                  I was thinking more troublesome pest!!
                  Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X