Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having done a test forking at the plot on the weekend our ground isn't going to be ready for planting spuds for a few weeks yet, but some of our chitting seed are starting to look a bit wrinkly - mostly the smaller ones.

Does anyone 'spritz' their seed potatoes with a fine mist of water? I'm sure I recall one of the plotters on our site suggesting it but am wondering if I dreamt it.

Comment

I've not heard of that but mine are starting to wrinkle too. Mine are not going in the ground anyway but need to get them in something I think.
      Northern England.

Comment

1/2 cwt each of Red Duke of Yroks, King Edwards and Golden Wonder chitting on.

Ground is still far too sodden to get onto but I did manage a 90ft row of the earlies last week planting from the path.

Golden Wonder are my absolute favourite tattie but was hard to get seed for, that is why I have the King Edwards as a fall back and I couldn't get my second favourite Kerrs Pink in reasonable quantities for love nor money.

Hope for a drier year this year not looking good at the moment.

Comment

Aaannnnnnddddd - they're in!

We finally planted our selection of 1st & 2nd earlies yesterday.

We also remembered to sprinkle potato fertilizer in the trenches this year (goodness knows what's in the stuff - little grey balls of something) so fingers crossed for a decent harvest....or any harvest after last year's disaster

Comment

Well, you are ahead of me Andraste !
            Hopefully this week for me as we still need to dig up the last of the leeks.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Good to know we're ahead of someone Nicos lol

That said, we learnt the hard way that it's much better to plant a few weeks later than the date the books tell you is the 'right' time & actually get a crop than it is to plant in the wrong conditions.

Comment

I've still got some Nicolas to plant in bags...
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

I’ve still got all the main crop Desiree,some charlottes & a couple of sharpes express to plant out

Comment

It’s just been so wet hasn't it?

well, that’s my excuse

Comment

It's definitely been ridiculously wet here too - so not an excuse at all but a very sensible decision

Comment

Got mine into bags last week finally
                        Northern England.

Comment

Spotted our first spud leaves showing on Friday They're literally just starting to stick their heads about an inch at most above ground but I was unreasonably excited

Comment

I got some donated spuds from the couple who have the plot next door.
                            They were well beyond there plant by date and came from a grocer who never got them sold in time before they sprouted.
                            The light starved shoots were almost a foot long and now have little bunches of leaves on them. They must be ready for earthing up.
                            Last edited by Plot70; 20-05-2024, 01:47 PM.
                            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Congrats Plot70 - you certainly can't beat a freebie

Comment

We finally got all our spuds in last Thursday.
                                Well - I thought we had, then, when I was vacuuming today, I spotted one under the sofa which Hibou had clearly pinched and played with

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X