No announcement yet.

Germinating ( or not) beans.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've also had extremely poor germination with french beans (Blue Lake) and runners (Scarlet Emperor) this year. Did one run using saved seed which was dismal, then another using packet seed (admittedly purchased at the end of last season when they were being sold off cheaply)

The plants that have grown look very weedly and spindly too - disappointing seeing as I normally grow prolific amounts of beans.

The only consolation is that I was up in "Bloom" the garden show at Dublin last week and their veg show-gardens all had very poor beans as well....

Comment

Sorry to buck the trend but I put two beans per station thinking I'd be certain to get some failures and every single one germinated. The runners did take a long time though. So much so that i sowed spring onions on top thinking they'd died and then the blasted things come poking through. Ah, the joys of gardening.

Comment

my own saved bean seed from last season is absolutely bobbins -out of apx 120 Sophie coco beans 3 are up wth a possible 7 in all, out of about 100 yardstick runner bean -NO germination at all.

Am growing the co co and mr ferns (3 out of 10 gerninated) purely for seed and hopefully eating lots of cobra (100% germination from tuckers)which will be growing inside and out.

here's to a great summer with some sunshine ... please
        Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

I've found bean germination very poor this year. they're normally one veg that I have no problems with but I've had less than 50% with a variety of seeds. Some are self saved but I've also had Lidl (the yellow wax beans) the organic catalogue (the prince) and Mr Fothergills (about three types) the best germination has been some dwarf runners that came from a freebie as is always the case.

Comment

It's not just us, either: Allotments 4 All - climbing french bean
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I was just wondering if self saved seed was more viable than shop bought?

Of course you'll all reply "But mine WAS self saved seed Snadge" in which case my theory is left in tatters!
              All I've grown in the bean department was self - or other Grape-saved Snadge. I got just about 100% from all of them. I'm not one to spoil things. They get sown in pots in the cold greenhouse and watered when they look like they are drying out. Then they get turfed out in the day for a week or so, then out 24 hours a day by the greenhouse wall for shelter. After that they're out in the big world on their own.

The only thing that failed completely - for the 2nd year on the run - was Sweet Dumpling squash from Marshalls. And I really wanted to try that!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I didn't have much luck with mine either.Blue Lake and Cobra-germination I would say less than 10%.Runner Painted Lady-all seeds have germinated.Dwarf Frenchies-some are out some are half way.

Comment

On my French beans, I didn't have any new seeds this year so was using up ones out of old packets (not self saved). All were sown in my normal way by simply shoving the seeds into damp compost in root trainers in the unheated greenhouse. Watered occaisionally but basically ignored. 100% germination with Trail of Tears (within the week) but really slow and rather lousey with Blue Lake and Blahilde. Have sowed some more since and they have done better so I now have sufficient and will be saving seeds from all of them this year for use next.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I sowed my climbing frenchies twice.Second time wasn't any better than the first time.I can't remember how many seeds were in the packet,I got a few plants eventually but I reckon will be better if I grow them just for seeds this year.Had a check in the compost-seeds went mouldy.So it wasn't cold weather,I just got dodgy seeds

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
                      I sowed my climbing frenchies twice.Second time wasn't any better than the first time.I can't remember how many seeds were in the packet,I got a few plants eventually but I reckon will be better if I grow them just for seeds this year.Had a check in the compost-seeds went mouldy.So it wasn't cold weather,I just got dodgy seeds
                      Often it's over-watering. I never water my beans - which I sow directly into damp compost - until they are dry. Works for me.

If you keep them damp they do rot off.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've done french beans (tall and dwarf) from last year's seed and this years (bought in) - getting 7 out of 8 on average. Sown in roottrainers, on a windowsill in bedroom, and watered once a week - came up very quickly and then out to coldframe.
                        However they really slow down once in the bed, and start getting eaten!
                        Salilah

Comment

i sowed all my runners (saved seed from last years beans) and french beans in toilet roll tubes this year - normally start them in a 24 cell module tray and never have problems - this year most came up but almost all died off after i planted them out - a couple of runners survived

i tried again - i sowed two blue lake next to each bean pole (exceptwhere the couple of runners are) and some have sprouted now, nowhere near climbing the poles ....

luckily i still have loads of last years runners and french beans in the freezer .....
                          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X