No announcement yet.

Potting on chillies to final pots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, spend a couple of days away from 'net access and look at the conversation that goes on!

Thanks Manda. I've used your idea and repotted into the 5" pots with a hefty sprinkling of vermiculite (ah, spotted problem, you've said perlite - have I mucked up? - I only had vermiculite). I'm glad it's ok that they're all about 5" tall.

Some of my tomatoes are up to 3ft tall and I sowed them about 2 weeks before the chillis but the chillis seemed really slow to germinate this year whereas the tomatoes romped away.
    Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Hi T-L, I think you'll be fine with vermiculite. Some chilli growers use either, some a mix of both, or just perlite - its to help their drainage, they don't like wet roots.

You toms sound good, ours are desperate to get outside but its far too windy atm. Seems pointless getting really healthy plants to a good size to plant out and then getting them battered/scorched by the wind - so we're waiting and the g/h is full! When it has more room it'll be time to pot on some more of our chillies.
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 19-05-2009, 09:48 AM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I like to try and keep the pot size going up by increments rather than making to big a jump. And I always like to go by the root system when deciding when to pot on rather than what is above ground. I'm way behing with the greenhous stuff tis year and have a bit of catching up to do. My tomatoes are into their final resting place and ar about 6" high no sign of flowers yet, although I also have some tumbling toms with flowers. The peppers and chillies are still only 3" high.

Ian

Comment

I've not quite dared to plant out the tomatoes although they're ready to be unleashed. They say the end of May ... but, maybe this weekend I'm going to have to do it regardless of the weather.

Just to sound like my mother - have you seen the price of vermiculite! It's so expensive.

Hi Ian - I've four baskets of various tumblers and Maskota has actually got little tomatoes on them
          Cheers

T-lady

Comment

If you buy in quantity perlite or vermiculite isn't too bad - I bought 100lt (not heavy, very easy to move about) of perlite with some other stuff from NAKays for £12.75. Vermiculite is the same price.

Comment

I hardly ever use the stuff, one big bag has done me about 5 years now. Don't think I've ever added it to chillies and never noticed any problem with drainage but I always use peat free compost which is more open than some of the others.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison
                ...Don't think I've ever added it to chillies and never noticed any problem with drainage but I always use peat free compost which is more open than some of the others.
                We also use peat-free multipurpose compost and last year didn't add perlite to all of the chilli's pots. In those that did have it added it was obvious to see they were happier, and already this year it is obvious to see that free-draining compost is making a difference.

You pays your money you takes your choices!

Comment

I've got a bit of vermiculite left, I might try that as a comparison Manda. Although, with OH in charge of the watering they're already suffering from "inconsistent" watering

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                    If you buy in quantity perlite or vermiculite isn't too bad - I bought 100lt (not heavy, very easy to move about) of perlite with some other stuff from NAKays for £12.75. Vermiculite is the same price.
                    Good price - I bought a small bag from our local (rip off) garden centre and it cost about £4.00. They operate a reverse Robin Hood syndrom - steal from the poor to give to the rich!
                    Cheers

T-lady

Comment

can someone tell me what NAKays is please? Never heard of it (Scotland!!) and I'm wondering if we can maybe buy it online? Ta

Comment

Here you go, theres a p&p of £4.95 but there's enough stuff thats a good price to make it worthwhile.

Kays Discount Garden Supplies - N A Kays Horticulture

Comment

perlite can be bought in smaller quantities from pet shops that sell reptiles, i got a bag a few years ago to try incubating ghekko eggs, hoping to hatch them ( didn't work ) think i only paid about 2 pound for it and i still got some left!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X