Turnip troubles

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnip troubles

Hi all. I planted some turnip - variety Snowball - some time August/early September (can't find the notebook with the date in it). They were planted in a bucket and have been kept close to the house with plenty water (supplied by nature of late) and generally cossetted.

They sprouted up quickly and have lovely healthy tops but no sign of swelling anywhere. I have harvested dwarf beans planted the same day and also some carrots planted at the same time are coming along well.

My query - the picture on the packet shows the leaves coming straight out of the top of the 'turnip' I have sort of stalks rather than this close to the soil affair - have I done something wrong? They were not thinned as they were planted some distance apart so this wasn't necessary.

Can anyone help please or should I throw them and try again?

Thanks
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Hi Shirlthegirl
    I planted Snowball this year and had no problems with them other than the usual slug ones. I can't picture what you mean when you say stalks as opposed to leaves emerging from the tops - any chance of a photo ? Also, can you remember what depth you planted them at ? And if you find the notebook, when you planted them ?
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

The round bits we use are actually swollen stems. If yours still look like stalks then they.re not ready for harvesting.

It's getting a bit late now, but you could leave them and see what happens

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

How long do they usually take to 'form'? I grew radishes this year (everything for the first time - no gardening before) and they were the same - though one of those did get like a radish, the others all just grew tall and flowered.

Learning lots this year and hope to have better success next year. Will pay more attention to keeping bugs off veg so that we get some!!
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Hello Shirl, radish are usually about 4 weeks from sowing to eating. If yours just grew tall and flowered it sounds as if they bolted - just went straight to flowers without doing the radish bit. This is usually due to weather conditions - drought maybe.
          It is a bit late for your turnips now. Try again next year. You'll ba amazed at how much you did learn this year.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X