Are your chillis still small?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
    Hope you don't think I was being a pedant, I honestly thought I'd missed something
    Not at all, thanks for pointing it out - I appreciate you highlighted the problem of Chilli Envy - I was wondering if I was alone, but you've revealed it's not just me!
    Last edited by maytreefrannie; 12-05-2009, 01:56 PM.
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi all,

Size of chilli I believe is proportional to temperature of environment.

Let me explain.

Last year I bought some plug plants, I gave some to a friend who had a grow house, I had a greenhouse. My chilli plants romped away when the temp gets above 15 Degrees, it stops when they fall below this level. My chillis got tall with lots of peppers, typically 2ft tall, his only got to about a ft and had smaller amount of chillis.

So it depends on the type of chilli also, remember a lot of chill plants are tropical/hot continent.

I noticed my chillis launch themselves, they are now about a foot tall but growth is intermittent depending upon temperature through day etc.

Dave
      Just an Office Guy trying to grow own food

http://www.allotment13.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm glad I cam across this thread, it's reassuring but at the same time this forum keeps giving me chilli envy, tomato envy... in fact simply <insert vegetable here>-envy!!!

I sowed Cayennes on 22 March, and potted them on into 3" pots a week ago - up to the seed leaves. They are now about 5-6" tall and the most developed ones have 8 or so true leaves. They certainly seem to have appreciated being potted on from the module tray.

That's very interesting about the temperature factor too. I might consider moving them upstairs to the spare bedroom which, with the windows shut, is like a greenhouse when the sun is out. Could perhaps be the perfect spot for the chillis and my basil planter.
        My Blog My flickr

Comment

My chillis are really dark green and healthy looking and have their first small flower pods growing on them but I started mine in about October 08 and I think the cold has really stopped them growing as they should have.
          Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Mine are 5 weeks old and have 4 leaves each, still very small and they germinated very quick.
            cheers Reks

Comment

Mine are growing veeeeeeeeeery slowly in the unheated greenhouse so I'm going to bring them inside again especially in this grotty grey weather - the least i can do is give them some warmth and affection
              RtB x

Comment

My Black Hungarian is 18" high and into lovely purple flowers.
                I sowed it on 27th Dec in the moon planting experiment and it lives in a heated conservatory so that explains everything I think.

Big Jim and Torro de Giallo were sown in February and they are covered in buds, in the conservatory. Dave 's right about the heat. I never put my chillies or peppers outside.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

LOL! My chillis are tiddlers!!
                  Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Mine are still tiny too! And my sweet peppers as well, although they are growing quicker now!
                    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here are some pics of mine. The skinny weak looking ones are outside and some of the others are inside.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Slightly off topic... got some toms here as well, anyone know what is growing in the toms, is it parsley?
                        Attached Files

Comment

I only sowed one variety this year, which I sowed beginning of Feb. It is outside and about 8 1/2 inches tall with two flower buds. Last year when I had a few other varieties some were a lot shorter than others so I agree, it does depend on the variety I think.
                          AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Herby View Post
                            Slightly off topic... got some toms here as well, anyone know what is growing in the toms, is it parsley?
                            Could be parsley. Also looks a bit like celery leaf to me.
                            AKA Angie

Comment

Coriander? Maybe....?
                              Eat it and see
                              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Herby - I am going to send you some labels......it looks like either flat leaf parsley or coriander.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X