No announcement yet.

Courgette failure :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too. Will have to see what tomorrow brings.
    The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow.

Comment

I planted my courgette seeds a week a go and nothing yet! I can't believe they germinated so quickly for some people!!!!

They are in the greenhouse so I think I may bring them indoors to germinate.
      www.my-ma.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
        Mine are doing that too! They only have 2 true leaves showing, the 3rd about to open up! I thought it was a bit early to be showing flower buds...
        I've just read on another thread that sometimes cucumbers produce buds when the plant is still small because it may be stressed. I wonder if this could be the same with courgettes?

I'm going to check mine aren't outgrowing their pots! I'm not sure that this will be the case with mine though as they are in approx. 6" pots, aren't huge plants yet and have only been in them a couple of weeks...

... just checked! Only one tiny bit of one root showing at the base of one of the pots so I don't think they are busting out yet!
        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I checked mine too, they aren't bursting out their pots yet, but will maybe put them up in a biggeer size to see if that helps! Thanks!
          http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

yes you make a very light batter and dip them in and fry in really hot oil, drain and sprinkle with salt and serve with a wedge of lemon...delicious! i often grow courgettes just for the flowers

Comment

First time of trying courgettes and luckily all six that I planted have all come up so will have some to give away, despite my worries that I'd planted them incorrectly.

Can someone please advise how much growing room does each plant need in the garden, how many courgettes should I expect to get to each plant (have read approx 50, can't be right surely), and if I put one plant in a container is there a possibility of damage to it if it hangs over edge of pot? Thanks

Comment

50 cougettes per plant is actually not unreasonable throughout the season. I had about that many last year. The plants eventually crop out and die down but they are quite prolific producers. Enjoy and start googling for loads of courgette recipes

Comment

Today i re-potted the beetroot and was very sad that i had to throw away a few beetroot, brussels and radish seedling as i had ran out of space for them
                  The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow.

Comment

Was there no one that you could have offered them to growingkasbar?
                    Donna

"You need to propagate to accumulate..."

Comment

Originally posted by gemlady View Post
                      First time of trying courgettes and luckily all six that I planted have all come up so will have some to give away, despite my worries that I'd planted them incorrectly.

Can someone please advise how much growing room does each plant need in the garden, how many courgettes should I expect to get to each plant (have read approx 50, can't be right surely), and if I put one plant in a container is there a possibility of damage to it if it hangs over edge of pot? Thanks
                      6 plants wow - hope you got lots of friends , I would say that each plant (depending on variety) would take about a 3' diameter, I cannot see any problems with damage from them hanging over the side in a container.
                      Mine want to consider something like this What Will I Do with All Those Courgettes?: Elaine Borish: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Comment

Sowed six seeds three yellow and three green bush and six popped up a couple of days later. Now in plastic grrenhouse cos they are so tall but healthy.
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by Maximillian View Post
                          yes you make a very light batter and dip them in and fry in really hot oil, drain and sprinkle with salt and serve with a wedge of lemon...delicious! i often grow courgettes just for the flowers
                          even more delicious if you make them into a little parcel stuffed with cheese before you batter and fry.
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

like raindancer411, I have had problems for 2 years running now with a number of my courgette seedlings (wilko mildew resistent veriety) producing small plants - a bit like bonzii courgettes, with flowers on them when they only have 5-6 little leaves! And this has happened to some seedlings even when i have potted them on into 25cm pots….. I've put some in the ground, but they never grow properly! It seems to happen to the early batch (planted end of feb indoors most). any ideas anyone??

Comment

It's because you're sowing them far too early Sara. They should be sown about 6 weeks before your last frost date.

Comment

Originally posted by saraandrews View Post
                                (planted end of feb indoors most). any ideas anyone??
                                As RL says, you're planting them at least 8 weeks too early. They are very tender plants (they need warmth), and can't go outside until late May or June (therefore you need to sow them a couple of weeks before they go outside)
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X