Tumbling Toms advise

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
    Have you got old fashioned central heating with a boiler? If so then germination can be helped along by popping the seed trays on top for warmth and covered in cling-film or inside a poly-bag to keep in the heat and moisture, then move them to the windowsill as soon as the seedlings emerge as they'll need the light.
    Hiya Bluemoon, unfortunately my boiler is behind my fireplace.. so I haven't got access to it. My airing cupboard is dark and very warm though... I hadn't thought about it, until now.. would that work the same way?

Comment

I have been recycling and using plastic food trays (meat trays, tomato containers) as seed trays and propogators. One plastic tray for the soil and seeds and another that matches the size as a lid. I have germinated most of my tomato plants this way, still time to get some going. :-)
      BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
      Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Natterjack72 View Post
        Again, thank you Selfraising. I like the clingfilm idea, I hadn't thought of that. I'll try to stop apologising, I just feel so nervous and not wanting to be a failure in this venture.... and I keep thinking everyone knows so much more than me, that I keep apologising.. I will try to stop. Again, thank you.... going to plant tomorrow, when I can see the pot/pots that I am going to plant into, that are hiding in my dark garden at present. Lol.
        I'm newish to the vine too Natterjack, but don't be nervous about asking questions, I have found everyone more than helpful and their advice and support is invaluable. Veg growers must be the most generous minded people I know.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I have 100's and 1000's tomatoes, are these similar to tumbling toms? I plan to put them in a 14" hanging basket, is 2 a good number to put in?
          Also I just plan to mix some MP compost with some water crystals and put them in this, is there anything else I need to add or consider (apart from feed and water later?)

Thanks

Dave
          Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over
          here, looking through your stuff.

http://mustardveggie.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you Florence Fennel. Yeah everyone does seem helpful, which is nice. Maybe it's the common interest. They certainly are the best teachers in my book. I like BumbleB's suggestion of food trays.... reuse until broken and then recycle. I'm going to save them up in future, though not many places to store them at present.

I've got my Tomatoes seeded into a little pot with clingfilm over on my windowsill at present... once they've germinated nicely... (if these do, else I'll try again) I'll be planting in a raised planter so they can trail over, instead of a hanging basket... though I may get one or two in time...

How long should I keep them indoors before planting them outside though, once they've started germinating, or not?

Mustard, yeah they are tumbling tomatos... I saw them in the Sutton catalogue and I will probably be ordering them next year hopefully.. they look delicious.

Comment

[QUOTE=Natterjack72;434020]food trays.... reuse until broken and then recycle. I'm going to save them up in future, though not many places to store them at present.
              QUOTE]

I dont get a chance to store them as I am needing so many! I empty out my plums from the plastic containers and the meat chops from the plastic box they come in and hey presto another seed tray and propogator
              I start collecting around feb but I dont keep them to next year as so easy to come by.
              BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
              Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

I don't get as many as BumbleB and hopefully less in future. I get a few vegetables in the plastic containers.. but hopefully less if and when I start growing those items and I rarely buy meat from the supermarkets, but a butcher that sells items without too much packaging... However, margarine tubs could be a good idea and they can also be reused to package things that need to be frozen... thus not having to also buy tupperware. Another thought I had, was to use bubblewrap, instead of clingfilm, tied over with an elastic band, if no lids available.

Comment

Bubblewrap is a great insulator and if you're recycling it will be a better option than clingfilm. I does cut down the light slightly though.
                  Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                    I have 15 Tumbling Toms which are now in three pots - I moved them and some other things out as the kitchen was being taken over by plants.

For the last 3 nights I've kept them on a table outside - it's just outside the back door and there's a perspex roof but no sides, so it's cold. At night I cover them with a big plastic storage box - it's white plastic and quite thick.

So far they seem to be doing fine - I take the plastic box off during the day. But I'm aware that we could still have frost and am not sure how they'd fare then.

Not sure if this would help you, Raindancer - I got the boxes some time back at a homeware-type shop and they were quite cheap.

I'm hoping this is enough protection, if anyone can give advice on this I'd appreciate it.
                    Well, if it was me and I had so many, I would be "gutted" if they failed. I have 25 potato plants under a good cloche which I remove during the day. At night I cover with a layer of fleece and then put the cloche back.
                    Bit of a chore, but then it would be grim if they failed now because of a frost.
                    Tesco, £1 shop, anything like that sell fleece. You could even use a layer or two of newspaper over them before popping on the bin.
                    Hope that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjo View Post
                      Well, if it was me and I had so many, I would be "gutted" if they failed. I have 25 potato plants under a good cloche which I remove during the day. At night I cover with a layer of fleece and then put the cloche back.
                      Bit of a chore, but then it would be grim if they failed now because of a frost.
                      Tesco, £1 shop, anything like that sell fleece. You could even use a layer or two of newspaper over them before popping on the bin.
                      Hope that helps?

yes thanks - those are simple extras I can use to increase the heat of the plastic bin. So far they've been doing fine, but the nights have been fairly mild, something extra might be needed if we get a cold spell (which is quite likely) - each morning I run out to check them!
                      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I put two in basket along with a selection of kitchen herbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotkat View Post
                          I put two in basket along with a selection of kitchen herbs.
                          Never though of herbs. Thanks for that.
                          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Natterjack72 View Post

Mustard, yeah they are tumbling tomatos... I saw them in the Sutton catalogue and I will probably be ordering them next year hopefully.. they look delicious.
                            Hi yeah thanks, been doing a bit of research on the subject and stumbled upon this from the Telegraph. Quite interesting
                            Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over
                            here, looking through your stuff.

http://mustardveggie.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by perkin View Post
                              Planning to plant up a couple of hanging baskets with toms at the weekend - gartenperle with nastursiums for a bit of colour. All I have to do then is find somewhere it hang it...
                              I have read that if you plant marigolds with tomatoes it helps to deter whitefly. They call it companion planting.

I like nasturtiums - especially how easy they are to grow...mine always attract small black bug things that fly away. They are on the stems under the leaves - really yukky! Puts me off growing them

Comment

Originally posted by Lemon View Post
                                I like nasturtiums - especially how easy they are to grow...mine always attract small black bug things that fly away. They are on the stems under the leaves - really yukky! Puts me off growing them
                                They are blackfly and they love nasturtiums even more than they love beans. I am growing them to plant out with my beans as a sacrificial crop, pretty flowers will be a bonus!
                                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X