No announcement yet.

What have you got outside?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst I agree with all the above advice on sensible attitudes to potential frosts etc, I think there's room to be experimental and adventurous (or cavalier and foolish, depending on how you look at it ). As well as hardy crops, I already have tomatoes and French climbing beans in the ground, all between 1 and 2 feet tall. I have a sheltered town garden and plenty of fleece. Maybe they'll make it, maybe they won't but it entertains me to have a go. I have plenty more seeds and seedlings in reserve
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

In the ground i have
      Spuds
      Leeks - last years
      onions - Autumn and spring planted
      Garlic
      spring onions coriander
      More perpetual spinch than I can shake a stick at
      Parsnips
      kohl rabi
      turnips
      carrots
      radish
      chives
      peas
      rhubarb

Indoors
      toms
      aubergines
      chillis
      peppers

Waiting for space
      spring greens
      red cabbage
      kale - sowed WAY too early
      sweetcorn

and yet to sow
      runner beans
      french beans

Phew think thats the lot lol
      Last edited by FionaH; 14-04-2009, 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot the rhubarb!
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

What about cucumbers/courgettes Fiona?
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
          What about cucumbers/courgettes Fiona?
          lol forgot courgettes
          Nieghbour giving me a cuc, ooh err missus
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleB View Post
            Hi, I know we should wait til our ground is warmed and the risk of frost is passed. And that this varies depending on what part of the country we are in.

But, what have other grapes already planted on their plot or lotties?
            I have potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, shallots, spring onions, peas, broad beans, all the year round caulis, parsley, Jerusalem artichokes, raspberries and asparagus. (Some of those are permanent crops, but planted out this spring!) I also have some chard, perpetual spinach and something else hardened off and ready to go out when I get around to it. Sowing leeks outdoors WIGATI too.
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

we have eaten our first radishes today have broad beans flowering first strawberries appearing on the plants and rhurbarb wine brewing ,every thing seems to be going too well waiting for something to go wrong.

Comment

On my plot i have garlic & onions (over wintered), broad beans (in flower), potatoes, and silverskin onions (from seed). I have sown on the plot radish (just germinated), parsnip, carrot & turnip.

I also have in the ground Rhubarb, gooseberry, black & red currants and raspberries planted about January time.

In the greenhouse i have more seeds / seedlings than i have room for ...basil, chives, garlic chives, lemon balm, sage, coriander, oregano, tomatoes, carrots, peas, chilli, potatoes in pots, red cabbage, chinese kale, brocolli, chard, leeks, spring onions, courgette, pumpkin, squash, melon, french beans, lettuce, beetroot, alpine strawberries, strawberries, french marigolds, fox gloves, candelabra primulas, sun flowers and sweet peas! Some of these were sown a month or more ago, some have just been sown in the last day or so and are yet to show their faces.
                Last edited by Newbie; 14-04-2009, 07:42 PM.
                Jane,
                keen but (slightly less) clueless
                http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

i've got stuff out in the open but the locals keep tutting and one said ..you have to watch out for frosts until the 13th May.....and this is southern france.....
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

At the lottie I have my tatties, onions and garlic. Plans for the carrots next, when I've dug the bed. Got lots inside at home and in the greenhouse also.

Comment

I have got outside: Garlic, potatoes (pink fir apple, rooster, saxon), leeks, spring onions, masses of mangetout peas, radishes, broad beans, dwarf french beans (opera), climbing french beans (blue lake), purple sprouting broccoli, kohl rabi, American land cress, lettuce (webb's wonderful, lollo rosso, little gem), shallots, oriental mustards. All germinated and loving the fine weather at the moment, and despite the clear nights the thermometer hasnt dropped anywhere near frost. I do have a south facing wall and a sheltered site for the veg patch, plus most are germinated in cell trays in the greenhouse/windowsill to speed things along. Even if you get a late frost there is plenty of time to do a second sowing of the more tender stuff.

Under cloches: runner beans seedlings and sweetcorn seedlings.

In unheated greenhouse: tomatoes, peppers sweet/hot, cucumbers, squashes, tray after tray of rocket/lettuce/oriental greens/spring onions, 400 modules of salady goodness all told...most will get munched by birds and slugs but the lucky few will get munched by my hungry ones!

Edit: forgot to mention outside: bright lights chard (not so happy at moment) and florence fennel (strangely thriving) plus blueberries, raspberries, black currants, strawbs, sage, chives, mint, rosemary, oregano, thyme. The basil died
                      Last edited by Welsh Wizard; 14-04-2009, 09:23 PM. Reason: blank mind moment

Comment

I pretty much go by the seed packets so have all sorts of brassicas in, lettuce, spinach, beetroot, radish, onions, leeks, shallots, garlic and early potatoes. Other stuff like tomatoes, cucumber, chillis, aubergines, been in heated greenhouse for a while, won't put those out for quite a few weeks yet. Just started courgettes, marrows, and will do sweetcorn next weekend, but again won't put those out for quite a while. I have found that if you shop around there are varieties of all sorts that you can start in the cold frame, so worth reading the packets and finding varieties that you can sow straight to the ground or don't need heat to get going.

Good luck! MK (again!)

Comment

hi, thought I had got way too excited getting my new allotment, planted lots of seeds etc, so now have potatoes ( early & main), onion sets, carrots, garlic, beetroot, broad beans, peas, calabrese, brussels, cauli , jostaberryx2, strawberries on lottie.(just planted some borlotti beans(climbers) as an experiment)
                          In gh runner beans, sweetcorn (although some now planted out in raised beds under fleece), leeks, tomato (in & out) chillis & peppers.
                          Locals are all tutting when they pass me too, too early for that, but what the heck, I am enjoying myself,(I have more seeds)

Comment

In the ground

JAs (left in from last year)....
                            Winter(Japanese) Onions....
                            Swede ....
                            Parsnips. ... .
                            Onions (Summer)(sets) ... .
                            Peas....
                            Garlic(x2) ....
                            Potatoes....
                            Carrots....
                            Parsley...
                            Beetroot
                            Raddish(Mixed)
                            Broad Beans.
                            Onions (red seeds)

I think there is more this is what I can remember
                            Last edited by bubblewrap; 15-04-2009, 06:02 AM.
                            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                            Brian Clough

Comment

sowed carrots but thats it have broad beans peas in house growing well trying parsnips but have been told they could take up to a month to germinate.going to put my onion sets out this weekend they will catch up.i live up north and its really cold now,woke up on sunday and the car was covered in frost so to early to plant anything out.
                              Last edited by joedogs; 14-04-2009, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Ive got broad beans (flowering) lettuce, spring onion, brussels, and broccoli (germinated), cauliflower, romanesco, Peas (germinated), and sweetpeas (growing well), Summer/autumn raspberries, in leaf and shooting from the ground, strawberries (in bud), blackberry romping away and blossom on my greengage, and plum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X