No announcement yet.

peat free compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There must be an answer to this whole drying out too quickly business....if you water it from the base it doesn't take the water up and if you water from the top it just runs out. And I hate leaving the water in the saucer/tray but it does get drawn up eventually. Perhaps we've just got to remember it is different...and the watering technique will have to change.

Comment

The peat free often has a lot of coir in it, when coir or chc are as potting medium on things such as citrus the normal way to water it is to put the pot into a bucket , then fill the bucket and the water raises through the pot to soak the whole lot for a minute or so before removing and letting it drain, theres no way to wet it by pouring into the top, it runs out too quickly to fill the air gaps in the pot
      Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

As mentioned by earlier posters, the New Horizon compost seems to be highly-rated. I saw on a gardening programme last year that it came top of the Which? survey of peat-free composts.

I use peat-free multipurpose for seed-sowing, and combine it with John Innes for growing things in pots. If something dries out I just assume it's my fault for not watering enough.

Comment

You can get organically approved peat based composts where the peat is from water off from hills rather than from digging up peat bogs.

The Organic Gardening Catalogue

I have been using Miracle Grow peat free compost. As per the other comments, it seems to dry out very fast. I have only just put stuff into it though so have no commets yet as to how well things grow in it.
          http://www.keithsallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have used peat-free last year for filling up containers and such, but this is the first time I've used it for seeds.

I sowed a lot of seeds in peat free earlier this year but as other posters have said, it just had completely the wrong look-and-feel, too woody and bitty, with big lumps of bark and twigs and things in it (yuck). Some of my seeds have come up but a lot haven't and I don't know whether it is the compost or what, certainly it does seem to dry out fast but... well it's too early to draw any conclusions, I guess, especially as I caved in and got some peat-based compost for seed-sowing and I can't claim 100% germination there either!

Would be interesting for those who have used a mixture to compare germination rates / survival rates for the plants they sowed in peat-based compost compared with peat-free?

I have a feeling I got New Horizon last year and liked it, but it was something else I used earlier this year (I forget what, it was whichever of the peat free composts was cheapest I suspect...)
            Last edited by Demeter; 05-04-2009, 10:36 PM.
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

For what it's worth I’ve seen more than one article that often say that the immediate advantage of peat is near 100% germination with a drop off. Modern peat free based composts seem to have a lower germination rate but during the young plant stage some actually out performed peat based composts.

Personally I’m weary to judge a compost solely on one brand or germination results. Surely we chould set up a season trial of peat free composts and use the forum to collect overall data and conclusions. Surely this wouldn't be too hard to do; maybe the magazine could even help publish results?

I'm not sure if anyone else saw the recent GW special regarding this subject, it weighed pro's and cons and alternatives and also pointed out that it's mainly the non-professional gardeners that attribute for the main use of peat, according to reports RHS wisely has been peat free for 23 years! If they can do it on a commercial scale why can't we? Is it because we lack the inclination/knowledge/or simply don't want to make things any harder than they have to be? Personally I understand the whole cost of time and money and that a change in ways is tough but maybe sometimes trying the new stuff is worth it?

Last year i tried a small scale compost trial, I grew the same variety of potato in bags i used peat based compost in one bag and peat free in the other (B&Q for both types). The peat bag held it's water more consistently but once dry was a nightmare to resoak, the peat free compost almost did the opposite and didn't appear to hold water terribly well, often it seemed to run straight out of the bottom.

The end of season results were surprising though, the peat free compost gave a higher yield and the tubers were much cleaner due to the coarse nature of the peat free product. The peat free was ok but the yield was definitely smaller in comparison. Same location, same feed, same watering. I can't help but wonder if the peat free is more akin to homemade compost and consequently has more nutrients geared towards growth. Maybe it is simply too rich for some seeds to germinate? Then again maybe not!

Would anyone be interested in a trial?

D
              www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
              www.outofthecool.com
              http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                Peat free composts also often contain coir, which has been shipped here from half way around the world. If you try and avoid both peat and coir, as I do, then you often really struggle and I frequently end up with something coir based. The alternatives are those that seem to comprise of composted wood chips and they are truly awful. Quite often you find yourself choosing the lesser of two evils.
                Coir is a by product of the coconut. Up until recent times the husk, once shelled from the coconut, were burnt. Many the time i have been on an island in south east asia & witnessed huge plumes of smoke derived from simply getting rid of the unwanted coir.
                I'm personally glad they have found a profitable use for it.
                Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

Definitely interested in a trial. I've found less slug damage as well so far...

Comment

I also watched the GW programme and a couple of points I picked up on were the largest UK grower of plug plants uses 100% peat and insisted that there was no substitute and that they would go out of business without peat. And the second was that all the John Innes have about 30% of peat in them. My purchase of peat is based on cost and performance and unfortunately that means a Multi purpose with peat in. I also noted that Peter Seebrook was adamant that he would not stop using peat and that with management the peat beds were sustainable.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                      Wish I had read this before I went to B & Q to get more compost, I usually use their bog standard peat based compost for potting on and the seed one for seeds, today I bought peat free for seeds and potting on and its awful, will have to use it but think I will go back to what I was using before even though it contains peat.
                      I have raised all of my seedlings so far on dehydrated peat free compost from B&Q. Yes it dries out quickly if you don’t keep an eye on it but it is lovely and light for the seeds so they germinate easily I think less root damage when pricked out for potting on as well! So far my seedlings have all been strong and healthy with cracking roots.

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      What's it like Jackie?

I thought that of mine, but it really has grown some cracking seedlings. I put a few out today and the little blighters are so strong, really good quality. Really good root growth.

And that's the stuff before I mixed it with home grown.

If I was closer, I'd come and take it off your hands!!!! I'm sure we could come to an arrangement.
                      When I ran out of the peat free that I was using, I bought some of the Tesco 30% peat free to pot on my toms, I found that sticky, heavy and full of twigs! Horrid stuff my toms did not like it at all! I went back to B&Q and bought some more of the dried peat free compost and ended up mixing the 2 different composts together and that appears to be working quite nicely. One appears to be balancing out the other for lightness and moisture retention.
                      Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                        I also watched the GW programme and a couple of points I picked up on were the largest UK grower of plug plants uses 100% peat and insisted that there was no substitute and that they would go out of business without peat. And the second was that all the John Innes have about 30% of peat in them. My purchase of peat is based on cost and performance and unfortunately that means a Multi purpose with peat in. I also noted that Peter Seebrook was adamant that he would not stop using peat and that with management the peat beds were sustainable.

Ian
                        If the supplier hasn't done any research and development, of course they will go out of business.

And....Peter Seabrook WOULD say that, wouldn't he??? He didn't come across as having done any research himself, so it is difficult to take anything he says at face value.

My first crop this year - of beans - has been grown in peat free compost; the pot of beans that was sown the same day, and had the same feeding from the same watering can, but has a half peat free, half multipurpose in it has yet to crop.

The only other difference is that I have to leave water in the saucer of the peat free; whereas the peat mix soaks it up really quickly.

Interesting.......
                        Last edited by zazen999; 06-04-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

In the past I tried New Horizons peatfree and didn't like it. Got a 3 bags for £10 deal at a garden centre earlier this season. Used it sieved with (or without for those that want light) vermiculite on top for seeds (flowers like lobelia/petunia, veggies & herbs) - great. Used it sieved with added perlite for small seedlings - great. Used unsieved for germinating beans (broad, dwarf french) - great. Used unsieved for potting on toms into 1lt pots - great!

I find it ironically selfish the attitude of some gardeners, all because its a perhaps a different way of growing. Its not like peat has been used for gardening that long. Come on see the bigger picture!
                          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 06-04-2009, 09:57 AM.
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Here's two articles which sum up the general media approach to peat free

Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew: Gardening Without Peat

BBC - Ethical Gardener - Peat

I'm struggling to find any to support the use of peat but i'll keep looking.

Gojiberry - you are right both of those points were mentioned in the GW special. It was very interesting that the main benefit of peat for the plug industry was that it didn't break up when removing the plugs from their moulds, although they did say they were looking at alternatives.
                            I think it's interesting that John Innes use peat but i've never seen great results from John Innes anyway. (I found i had better results using the B&Q peat based stuff)

As for Peter Seabrook......honestly i know nothing of him. I've had a look around and i believe that he has great experience, it's a shame that the presentation of his arguments made him look like a very narrow minded individual. Shouting others down isn't really a great discussion tactic - saying that i'm not the biggest fan of Toby Bucklands unconvincing/seemingly inexperienced tv style either. - Maybe this shouting down technique works for Peter's tabloid articles but i don't think it has a sensible use in what should be a discussion.

From what i've found on the web there are many articles on using peat free composts and many of them seem to promote a little and often system when applying feed/water. This seems helpful if you've got a drip feed but a little more awkward if not.

I guess something that would be good to explore would be the use of home compost blended with sand/grit as a growing medium.Does anyone sterilise and use their own?
                            www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                            www.outofthecool.com
                            http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Flobalob View Post
                              Coir is a by product of the coconut. Up until recent times the husk, once shelled from the coconut, were burnt. Many the time i have been on an island in south east asia & witnessed huge plumes of smoke derived from simply getting rid of the unwanted coir.
                              I'm personally glad they have found a profitable use for it.
                              Not very good though that they have to ship it across the world, would ideally prefer a more local product which doesn't harm the environment.

Originally posted by Duronal View Post
                              From what i've found on the web there are many articles on using peat free composts and many of them seem to promote a little and often system when applying feed/water. This seems helpful if you've got a drip feed but a little more awkward if not.
                              That's what I've found, it's better for the plant anyway not to be engulfed one day and then left to dry out so it's kind of a good way to force me to do what I should be doing anyway

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

So far this year I've tried the following peat-free composts:

West+
                                Very rough and fibrous, like composted bark chippings. Seems to dry out very quicky, especially in the heated propagator - modules in corners of trays show poor germination, which I'm sure can't be entirely down to my missing them with the watering can!

Miracle Gro Organic

Much finer texture overall, though with one or two large items (a piece of wood at least 2 inches long, and a large nail!) that suggest it is made from municipal waste with whatever organic fertilizer they've added. Only recently started this bag, so water retention ability not clear yet.

I think I've used New Horizon in the past - will look out for it again...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X