Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Earlies going in this weekend!! Anyone else?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mags, you may need to cover your spuds to protect against cold and wind depending where you are. I always start early on ground covered by bubble wrap, and then contnue to loosen it as the haulm grows. Then earth up and uncover when all risk of frost has gone. Here we usually start planting first week in April if no cover is used. You are in dangerous territory!!!!

Comment

Aiee, indeed we seem to be just across from eachother. There's a -1 night predicted for Thursday. Will try to get through the scary nighttime allotment to spread some fleece out. Darned job, it keeps interfering with my gardening!
      Last edited by magz.mccarthy; 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I got some Lady Christl new potatoes today from the local garden centre to go in a potato barrel I got off eBay. In the barrel instructions it says I can store any first early seed potatoes I don't use for a second crop later in the year but how would I store them and surely they'll be rotten in three months time?

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
          Lots of people seem to be using plastic, should I put plastic on instead of double layer of fleece?
          I was wondering that too! I suppose it might heat up quicker being plastic? But fleece is great for keeping the frost off... I'm not sure...
          http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by martynsread View Post
            I got some Lady Christl new potatoes today from the local garden centre to go in a potato barrel I got off eBay. In the barrel instructions it says I can store any first early seed potatoes I don't use for a second crop later in the year but how would I store them and surely they'll be rotten in three months time?
            Bottom of the fridge. With a mouse-trap in there so no-one eats them by mistake!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Just a quick message about potatoes, first year of growing them, i am interested to know how long it is till you get shoots coming up? growing in big old black feedbags

Comment

I got some Rocket too, go them from Wilki's, can't wait to plant them, though mine are going in bags. Also got some Aaron Pilot as well.
                Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Originally posted by sav025 View Post
                  Just a quick message about potatoes, first year of growing them, i am interested to know how long it is till you get shoots coming up? growing in big old black feedbags
                  I plant in mid March, in the ground, and it can be a month - don't worry!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Put them in today, just a couple in a bucket. Will put down some more in a couple of weeks (traditionally here earlies go in on 17th March - St Patrick's Day).
                    Last edited by maytreefrannie; 04-03-2009, 02:25 PM.
                    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

surely you will all have drunk too much guiness to be able to plant in a straight line

Comment

Originally posted by colser View Post
                        surely you will all have drunk too much guiness to be able to plant in a straight line
                        Whazzat? They're shupposed to be in a sh... shtrai... shtraigh' line?
                        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Ah colser, we make the holes the day before and just have to drop them in the next day.

Years of practice and we have it down to a fine art.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have mine in one of those potato bags in my plastic greenhouse, they were chitted and they have been in there nearly two weeks now.
                            They have just started to peep through the soil.
                            Fingers crossed!
                            My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

nasty weather this week down here but i am planning a couple of buckets next week.
                              Vive Le Revolution!!!
                              'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                              Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I have had my first earlies (Swift) in for three weeks now. I cover them with a thick layer of straw untill they need the first earthing up. Living on the south of the Isle of Wight gives me an early start for most of my Veg:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X