Tricotyledons ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by si'sraisedbed View Post
    I wonder whether if I kept seeds from the toms on the 3 leaf they would, in turn, provide more 3 leaved varieties next year
    When I first googled tricoyledons I found someone saying that one in 49 or so seeds is a tricot. Now I'd take issue with that - I grow well more than 49 seedling per year. However, the report then went on to say that fruits from a tricot produced 1 in 11 tricots in the next generation. It also said that they were weaker - mine isn't.

I'd only think it was worth trying to produce them deliberately if, as I said before, they produce more flowering trusses. Interesting though eh?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

So in year 3 maybe 1 in 5 tricots, year 4, 1 in 2 maybe. If there is a marked increase in trusses could be a long term experiment.
      si'sraisedbed

Comment

I've merged the 2 threads about tri-leaved plants so that they're all in the same place. I'll be interested to see the outcomes of them all

Comment

Yay, I join the club with a 3 leaved french marigold. I'm in the elite class now
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by si'sraisedbed View Post
            So in year 3 maybe 1 in 5 tricots, year 4, 1 in 2 maybe. If there is a marked increase in trusses could be a long term experiment.
            I'm not saying there WILL be more fruit trusses - just that it's a possibility.

Comment

Checked on progress last night - three seed leaves has the beginnings of the first true leaves - and there are three....
              si'sraisedbed

Comment

Spirit of enquiry. That's where true research comes from!

Comment

I have another one!!! Same variety - maskotka - of the 4 seeds I have sown so far two have 3 seed leaves. Is this kind of thing prevelent in certain species?? or am I just "lucky"? Previosly someone said one in 47 seeds were tricots, I have a strike rate of 1 in 2!!
                  si'sraisedbed

Comment

Must be the variety!

Comment

I've got an 'Amish Paste' tomato seedling with four seed leaves! I'll photograph it and post the photo on here.
                      Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

FOUR! You're just showing off!

Comment

Nope! Also one with three, in a batch of 15. The tetracotyledon is doing well, and now has three (not, as you might expect, four) true leaves, but the tricot is a poor, weak thing.
                          Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Interesting. My tricot aubergine is just as stong and the same height as the others but is bushier.

Comment

Iv'e got radishes growing with 3 seed leaves now!(Also got one with 1!!!)

Comment

It certainly makes you look closely at your seedlings, doesn't it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X